Nope, men and women aren’t equally sexualized in comics

That’s what I’ve been saying the entire time.

How do you determine the intent of the artist and the expectations of the audience? Surely not just by how popular it is?

I’m sure you can find someone who has implied that about you, and blame them for what you imagine. Poor poor victim you.

1 Like

7 Likes

Ah, yes, a man arguing that a discussion on sexism and the objectification and sexalization of women in media and society is trite. That never happens. You’re so edgy and original!!

8 Likes

Except that the gay(male) community has always had other archetypes of desire like bears or working class dudes. Bears are never a slim 19 year old - they tend to be 35 y/o +, hairy, bulky - with a natural body - even beer bellies. The gay (male) community has its share of stereotypes - twinks, muscle boys, leather daddies, flamboyant types, queens, etc. Even typing these words I am imagining a spectrum of physical types, ages, and a completely different range of "desirable"characteristics for each.

The biggest issue is that the most basic representation of women in comics is that she is young, white, conventionally attractive, and generally given hypersexualized costumes. Are there any female comic characters that look over the age of 30 ? Who don’t have long hair and skimpy outfits ? Who are given some superhero attribute that is grotesque like the Hulk - ie giant bulging brain v.s. super sexy contortionist powers ?

3 Likes

I thought the discussion was about whether or not this is rampant sexualization. Who’s moving goalposts?

Is more sexist than anything I’ve said.

“equal” sexualization.

Can you not even read the headline without changing it to suit your bias?

7 Likes

omg are you serious

Troll.

Edit: And no, what I said is not sexist. Christ.

4 Likes

Of course it also depends on the content and execution, too. Are the self portraits more banal retro pin-up to exploit a particular niche in alt modeling or is she exploring Cindy Sherman territory ?

11 Likes

Semantics. Either way my point stands.

See, this is an actually argument we can have a discussion over… was that so hard?

It’s about the expectations, I’d argue. The expectation is that young men are the primary consumers of comics, and want to look at hot women. This is then encouraged by the editor of said comics and influences who gets hired to draw and ink superhero comics. Whether that is the truth and the whole truth is another matter entirely. Just like the artist posting nudes of herself has an expectation that her audience are interested in art, that doesn’t mean that there won’t be people getting off on her stuff; those who consume comics, such as the author of the article we’re discussing, is saying that the expectations expressed by the art in comics that include scantily clad women do not necessarily add to the plot, and therefore, why are they there in the first place? The person writing the article (since they are writing for comics alliance) consumes comics and there fore is expressing their views on sexualized images of women in comics and why they are not the same as the way men are drawn (even when they are drawn in a sexy manner).

3 Likes

I was particularly referring in that case to artist, photographer and model Nina Covington.

1 Like

You need to ask @anon24181555 that, as they are the one who brought up the artist in question. But, yeah, context matters.

1 Like

If I were to make a similar argument and put two letters in front of the word man I doubt you would feel the same.

-Christ

Happy to catch you up. How do you determine the expectations of the artist?

Sometimes they say what they wish to express. Other times, the art can be hamfisted enough to express it easily… other times, you just can’t, and you can only draw inferences through your own experiences.

I’d argue that SHE is in control of her own content. Sure, she makes herself an object, you could argue, but she’s the one in control. She isn’t a graphic drawn by someone else for consumption by mass media. You’re honestly arguing apples to oranges here and veering off-topic. It’s like you’re trying to paint us all into a corner by arguing something that’s only slightly related, and which is its own separate discussion.

This isn’t about your friend, who happens to be a woman, and her art, which we can’t even see. There’s ALWAYS a female friend or wife or sister or whatever that’s totes cool with whatever discussion of sexism or objectification that’s taking place. It’s just a cliche “gotcha” at this point, and in this case, a big derail.

8 Likes

Yeah, Mine too.

We have responsibilities to speak your language, but you have the right to tell us what we really meant. If we do the same to you, it’s objectionable evidence of bias. When you do it, it’s Tuesday.

Not to be all internet tough guy, but if you’d like to hash this out face to face, let me know. I think the world would be well served by it. Not actually a suggestion, just acknowledgement that yes, you make people want to punch you in the nose.

In that way you win. Hope it makes up for the miserable worldview and self-loathing.

2 Likes

I’d argue that right off the bat your premise falls. Young men make up a small percentage of the demographic that buys comics. Your whole premise by your own admission revolves around the artists expecting to sell to young men and this simply isn’t true.