NY's 1974 ban on nunchaku just deemed unconstitutional

How has no one posted this already?

Incidentally, this guy is in Weezer’s Pork & Beans video looking like a badass, and I love that they included him. He gets way farther through a flip and nunchuk routine than I ever could, or want to.

3 Likes

Sounds like a job for a forensic psychologist. But then you might get into the Oedipal implications of Jefferson’s habits with his mistresses. Or the three branches of government as a manifestation of the id, ego and superego (i.e. Executive, Legislative, Judicial).

1 Like

It’s just a “flail” - a standard threshing instrument used to pound grain.

3 Likes

I only live in a medicinal nunchaku state. Guess I’ll have to move to a recreational nunchaku state like NY.

4 Likes

I discovered recently that Colorado has some very strict statutes regarding nunchacku and throwing stars. Specifically, it is a class 2 misdemeanor if:

(e) He knowingly aims, swings, or throws a throwing star or nunchaku as defined in this paragraph (e) at another person, or he knowingly possesses a throwing star or nunchaku in a public place except for the purpose of presenting an authorized public demonstration or exhibition or pursuant to instruction in conjunction with an organized school or class. When transporting throwing stars or nunchaku for a public demonstration or exhibition or for a school or class, they shall be transported in a closed, nonaccessible container.

2 Likes

Threshing is not harvesting, but pounding the grains to remove the outer husk. Supposedly the nunchaku was used for that purpose. The first one I saw, years ago, had the sticks joined by a relatively short pair of cords. The chain came later, possibly for the movies.

Medieval European flails were used standing up to thresh grain, and consisted of a long stick with a shorter one attached. There were military versions, and weapons derived from them, like the morningstar.

edit: @Tsu_Dho_Nimh beat me to it.

4 Likes

On the elbow? Try the family jewels!

4 Likes

Of course as “Short barreled rifles,” those would be covered by the NFA and require a pair of tax stamps from the ATF, just like machine guns.

4 Likes

Ah, so thats when the UK banned the baguette.

2 Likes

Hmm - they could be considered pistols… except I think those are old Mosins. You can convert a pistol into a rifle, no problem, but you can’t convert a rifle into a pistol. So given those look like old surplus, you’re probably right they would be SBRs.

I have to wonder if this is real, or if someone deactivated two guns to make non firing props. I guess it’s good to have hobbies either way?

Finally, I can work on developing the sweet skills needed to get a girlfriend.

14 Likes

Didn’t happen if you don’t post a video.

Well, you know what they say. If nunchucks are outlawed, only outlaws will have nunchucks…

tumblr_inline_ns0qaf0uQN1rz2j7i_500

3 Likes

I’m rooting for you, buddy!

1 Like

I actually know how to use nunchaku, and I’m okay with this. Flails are notoriously impractical and require a lot of practice to use. A crowbar is a better mugging tool.

1 Like

Brace yourselves everyone, but I just found out that the guy in the photo, Bruce Lee, has passed away.

1 Like

1 Like

You can have my SBRunchakus when you pry them from my cold, dead hands, Mr. President!

1 Like