NYT first article about Hitler (1922): his "anti-Semitism not so genuine or violent as it sounded"

You’re a foul/stupid/racist/sexist/homophobic/nativist/fascist/KKK-loving/splaining asshole if you entertain the idea that: America is not Weimar Germany; the year is not 1933; Trump is not Hitler.

You know what? I’m tired of denying it: Trump is not “like” Hiter. Trump is Hitler. Trump is the Hitleriest Hitler of Hitlers that ever did Hitler. And if you don’t agree with me, you’re Hitler.

7 Likes

As has been said before, “He’s not Hitler, but there are very serious, very troubling parallels between them, and I take no issue with mentioning this.”

6 Likes

No but I’m one of those weird people who reads history books.

I’m gonna say he’s a lot more like Mussolini.

2 Likes

Il Drumpf-aye

1 Like

Ill Dou-che

4 Likes

Almost every prominent politician gets compared to Hitler by members of the opposition sooner or later. Some with more justification than others.

But if you look the people who actually profess admiration for Hitler (i.e. Neo Nazis and other ultra-right-wing white Nationalists) they really, really hate Obama and really, really seem to love Trump.

If you see a swastika scrawled next to Obama’s name or image you can be almost 100% certain that it was drawn by one of his detractors. If you see a swastika scrawled next to Trump’s name or image there’s a non-trivial chance it was drawn by one of his supporters.

9 Likes

Drumpfsplainers?

3 Likes

Except that having sex with someone doesn’t mean you have respect or no animosity for them… He did have animosity towards black people, when they “got out of line”… Southern whites expected obedience and respect from southern blacks, and reacted strongly when they “got out of line”… that didn’t mean white men didn’t regularly sleep with and brutalize African American women.

4 Likes

Holy crap, great find!

1 Like

No argument there. Just saying that people who were close to Thurmond defend him by saying he was courteous or even affectionate to black people in his own life. My response to those people is “Even if he was that doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things. He was a major force for evil in the history of civil rights and nothing he did in his private life could absolve that.”

3 Likes

But what many folks seem to miss is that the problem with the Obama/Hitler comparison was that it was blatantly ridiculous and completely ungrounded in reality, not that it involved Hitler.

Context and reality are important.

2 Likes

No true Hitler?

3 Likes

Sure he calls for the criminalization of homosexual acts, and regularly compares gays to those practising beastiality or incest, but it’s no big deal.

Turns out he was closeted the whole time :smiley:

• doing something nice to/for a few does not cancel out enabling and encouraging horrors for millions
1 Like

Good god, had he not read anything that Hitler had written by that time? What supreme dumb-assery.

Ill Douchey.

1 Like

Yeah, it came from people who were suggesting that providing medical care for your population is equivalent to concentration camps.

I think using animus towards a religious or ethnic minority to get elected is probably step one on being compared to Hitler. Overall, I don’t know if Hitler is a good comparison, though I worry things could go that way with him at the helm. I’ve heard others say he’s more like Mussolini, and the hugely more benign but definitely terrible Berlusconi. If I had to compare him to a politician from recent memory the one that would jump to mind is actually Rob Ford.

Even though that sounds like I’m saying he’s a harmless clown, I don’t really mean that. If Rob Ford had not been drunk and high all the time, if he had commanded a country instead of ultimately having just one vote in a city, if his contacts in the criminal world were powerful and well organized instead of being local drug dealers, he could have done a lot of damage.

5 Likes

I’d argue that his courteousness or affection towards African Americans was part of white supremacy itself, you reward people who act within the system and support violence against those who don’t. Segregation had a surprising amount of intimacy, especially between white men and black women, because of the nature of the power dynamics at play there.

3 Likes

7 Likes

This made me think of something Desmond Tutu said about the end of apartheid. He said that getting people to stop hating one another wasn’t as hard as you’d think because every white person in South Africa was raised by a black nanny. They all loved a black person before they were taught to hate them.

Whether it’s white people ruling black people or the rich ruling the poor, the entire reason why people want to rule other people is to make those people do things for them. That means there is a lot of interaction, enjoying being cruel is an “uncivilized” trait.

5 Likes