NYT's horrifying video of hateful Trump rally attendees

Interesting, but most of the suggestions at that link are rather abstract.

Here’s a black woman who has a more concrete plan. I actually strongly recommend this to those who are spiritually oppressed by the contemplation of their privilege.

http://www.reparations.me/#!about/cjg9

As far as I can tell, this is not, repeat not, a parody. Although it’s interesting to see how the suggestions in her “about” page compare with the actual guilt offerings on display, which include such necessities are tarot readings, “family archiving”, developmental editing, and channelings from the spirit world.

They never enjoyed the german school curriculum. There isn’t a single subject in which they didn’t manage to shoehorn the holocaust into.

maths. I never had to solve a word problem based on the third reich or the holocaust.

3 Likes

I know that. But in the US and some other countries, unless you actually do the 20th century in school history lessons, the information is not that readily available. In the UK, WW2 is usually a completely unrealistic rendering in which heroic Brits fight Nazis, with a very late and pretty useless intervention by the US. The real war, the one in the East where most of the atrocities happened, rarely gets mentioned.

1 Like

I didn’t realise the slogan “Britain First” was actually used by Mosley…

This is the kind of stuff that people should be doing for each other anyway.

I don’t think they’re thinking of a time that really existed but rather an imaginary period when everybody got along and minorities “knew their place”.

To some people Leave It To Beaver, Father Knows Best, and The Andy Griffith Show are documentaries.

11 Likes

Oh I know about that. Worshiping a cardboard replica of the 50s started in the 80s.

All I’m saying is I remember the 70s, vaguely, and it was not some golden age. People like him had plenty to complain about at the time.

5 Likes

Why me specifically? I think that is pretty much the problem. Instead of any solidarity, most people simply hope/wish that somebody else will do it, which is a politically impotent perspective. If it was only me keeping Clinton in check would not accomplish much. If it was most of those who elect her, it is entirely do-able.

Raising awareness of issues is crucial. But what much of the left seems to be in denial about is that it then takes some force and organization to put this awareness into action. Voting is only ever the barest start of a daily hands-on process.

4 Likes

I’ve posted this before, but I still think that John Oliver’s search for the “greatest decade in America” was spot on: http://www.cc.com/video-clips/e08ybj/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-even-better-than-the-real-thing

Never underestimate the power of nostalgia and the fog of years.

7 Likes

I am nostalgic for the future!

5 Likes

I guess they forgot about Maude.

8 Likes

You, because you brought it up, however I was speaking of the general “you” of the bulk of the population.

If you’re in the top 10% or so, you have a chance of getting something done. (Again, using the word “you” in the sense of addressing the richest 10% of the population)

If not, you (in general) have near zero voice in government, the way it is currently (mal)functioning.

4 Likes

I see this said a lot and when it’s in a negative fashion it always revolves around racism and sexism.
Yet people ignore things like the fact a single income earner could support a household and live a good life with nothing but a blue collar job. A mortgage didn’t need to be 30 years or have a loan for a car. Financially the 50’s were a pretty good time and of course the war had a lot to do with that, but that is certainly one aspect that people who look back at the way things were think about. It’s not all about hating minorities and keeping women barefoot and pregnant.

4 Likes

I’m trying to figure out how all the videos, modified jpgs, lip-sync mash-ups, etc, etc, etc slamming Trump are substantially different from what the hateful Trump attendees do.

1 Like

If you have ever been to any public meeting such as city council or county board of supervisors there are always one or two people that sound off and make you think WTF. This just happens to an extremely dense concentration of those same types of people… Empowered by hate.

3 Likes

Trump is one, specific, stupid individual peddling a very specific, stupid kind of hate. And people feel justified in attacking him, as an individual, for preaching stupidity and hate.

Trump’s followers on the other hand have no reason to be angry at Latinos in general, women in general, or Muslims in general. His supporters hate those people simply for not being white, male, and christian.

9 Likes

I hate to say “yes, but…” both because I agree and because you’ve already said as much. There was good in the “good old days” but the goodness wasn’t equally distributed.

And I admit I’d love to live in Mayberry, albeit a version of it where not everyone is white, straight, and churchgoing.

4 Likes

You know that’s how the rest of the world writes 9/11, right?

Coincidence?

5 Likes

Charming.

1 Like