NYT's horrifying video of hateful Trump rally attendees

Back in the good old days, we didn’t know about the Golden Age Fallacy.

2 Likes

Just for a little perspective, Trump is currently the least popular major-party nominee recorded since the US started using modern polling methods and his support has been collapsing dramatically since the general race started. This isn’t to say he’s guaranteed to lose, but it’s certainly not reasonable to take it for granted that he’s going to win.

8 Likes

For a minority of his electorate, yes. But I agree with @milliefink: the vast majority of middle-class Trump supporters rally for him because they’re terminally frustrated with Washington and see themselves (not inaccurately) as having been economically screwed over by career politicians.

Their support for Trump isn’t revenge, though. It’s desperation. They’re willing to push the metaphorical red emergency button because they feel they have no recourse let.

10 Likes

Naturally. But it still comes as a shock to hear Trump supporters — and I’ve heard this said in more than one interview — longing for a return to the glorious 70s.

2 Likes

9 Likes

WTFF? The 70s sucked royally. About the only thing good about the 70s was music styles of all sorts were getting mixed up and blended in amazing ways. Other than that what stagflation, gas lines, unemployment, it sucked.

6 Likes

So it seems. Never heard it before so I had to look it up on the Google. This campaign has been so educational.

Because it was a Trump rally I naturally assumed it was aimed at Mexicans. As slurs go it seems rather unimaginative.

7 Likes

Monty Python did most of their best work in the '70s. But besides the mix of musical styles, and Monty Python, what have the '70s ever done for us? Nothing.

12 Likes

Yes, though I think that’s true for a lot of his working-class fans as well. For many in both (and more) sectors, it’ll be a protest vote against a system that just isn’t working for them, and is obviously working for those above them. And if Trump does win, I expect a fair number of them will be like those Brexit voters who said they wanted to send a similar message, but never expected that the thing would actually happen.

13 Likes

5 Likes

7 Likes

Yes, we’ll give you that, but besides the Jerk, Star Wars, the Gay Rights movement beginning to gain traction, SNL, the Concorde, a plethora of Mel Brooks greatness, the Atari 2600/Apple II sparking a revolution in computing electronics, progress in the feminist movement, a mix of musical styles, and Monty Python, what have the '70s ever done for us?

22 Likes

Because it’s when they were children, and thus the world was so much simpler and more innocent.

16 Likes

Hey. All I need is this paddle-game.

5 Likes

I think it provided us a fair amount of current BB posters, so there’s that.

18 Likes

Well, my parents didn’t either, but my mother would probably vote for him if she were alive. As will three of my brothers. There’s a reason I don’t associate with what’s left of my family.

3 Likes

This!
Nobody is actually white, (or black).

7 Likes

FTFY 

2 Likes

243, if they want to take part in the Boston tea party.

1 Like

It’s kind of sad, but yeah, I’ve thought more than once during this whole debacle, that I’m kind of glad I never had to discuss this with my Dad, as I’m not really sure which way he’d go on it. For numerous reasons, we didn’t speak for almost a decade and although politics weren’t involved, I know we generally avoided the topic. Still, I would have hated to risk losing the ground we made in the last few years of his life over this garbage.

Now my partner’s father … well, kind of glad he didn’t live to see this, simply because I know what he would have done. Like many Republicans that don’t like what’s happened to their party, but can no longer ignore the fact that the GOP is, in fact, openly embracing it’s bigoted core, he’d have sucked up his personal feelings and gone all in for Trump. Sorry to say it, but I’m glad that I never had to hear that from him.