"Obamacare is law of the land" as replacement fails in House

He can’t, however, blame the Democrats for this colossal own-goal.

19 Likes

Don’t celebrate. This won’t hurt Grump. Remember that “drain the swamp” was not about getting lobbyists out of DC, it was about pushing out people who had careers in government. Grump will blame congress because they are part of the swamp. All his worshippers will buy it. Grump’s approval rating is ~40% while Congress’s approval rating is 28%.

Meanwhile, in the background, Grump will fuck with obamacare. He already cancelled advertising during the last week of open enrolment which led to sign-ups (including renewals) this year being less than last year. He’s also started the process of making the IRS not enforce the penalty for the individual mandate, which will cause healthy people to drop out, further driving up costs for everybody else. Don’t forget that Tom Price who hates obamacare is now health and human services secretary so he will be dreaming up ways to dick with it too.

ETA: The catch-phrase for the new strategy that I’m hearing on the news is “collapse-and-replace” as in they will do what they can to make it collapse and thus harness the anger of the people who got screwed.

20 Likes

They should have elected someone who knows how to make great deals.

26 Likes

He will.

6 Likes

I take heart in the fact that there are more women than men. Ladies! Get out there and vote!!

5 Likes

The Republicans went into this wobbly-kneed because many of the 52% of the population who despise Trump and his agenda protested, petitioned, packed town halls, and wrote or called their Members of Congress.

14 Likes

Trump humiliated completely as Obamacare replacement fails in House

Sad!

5 Likes

43 Likes

They’re not waiting.

22 Likes

Two thoughts:

1. with the Presidency, the House, and Congress all in the bag, it’s pretty damn close.
  2. do you think this (“not a dictatorship”) is something they’re just now realising?
22 Likes

Your good and well-considered warning is duly noted and GREATLY appreciated. But can’t we have just a just a soupcon, just a teesey bit of happiness while we can?

:wink:

11 Likes

I will cop to the charge that the inclusion of the word “sadly” might be construed as “fake news”…

But I do think it more clearly illustrates the WH’s mindset.

3 Likes

I saw one of the Republicans earlier today on the news repeatedly trying to pivot every question he received to a statement of “I think the Democrats have a responsibility to come to the table on this.”

So, yeah, they’ll probably make an attempt.

12 Likes

pfft No they don’t. ® have a responsibility to bring the table to them.

6 Likes

Look, the past two years has been chock full of shit. Can we just get a second to feel a little glee before we get the next helping of shit shoveled down our throats? Like, just for a tiny second.

29 Likes

maybe I’m just recklessly optimistic, but I’m hoping Trump might be scared off after this. I don’t think he ever really cared about the ACA one way or the other - I think he did this to throw a bone to Paul Ryan and other republican leaders.

He hates losing, and now that he’s aware that Health Care is actually not an easy win, I could see him leaving it alone.

11 Likes

Unfortunately, some of them did, with the majority of white women actually voting for Trump.

10 Likes
11 Likes

Among his loyalists, no, but do you seriously think that the general public – all of those USA Today reading middle American voters who voted Trump for one reason or another but are wondering if that was a great idea now – are going to think that The Great DealMaker failing to pass the healthcare act he made his signature goal isn’t going to collapse their faith in him? He can’t build a wall, he hasn’t Locked Her Up, Obamacare isn’t going anywhere… they’re running out of things to chant.

And whether this hurts Trump in the long run or not, the horrible ACA replacement has failed, and that’s reason enough to celebrate.

26 Likes
56 Likes