"Obamacare is law of the land" as replacement fails in House

Pauls Ryan as a child…

8 Likes

It’s possible that these folks actually helped for a change:

9 Likes

It means he has absolutely no control authority. A good president would negotiate with congress to get something like his proposal passed. But he bailed on that. It was too hard. He didn’t put the time in. It took eight years for Obama to get a health care system past congress.

It just looks like Trump isn’t going to get anything through because he can’t think beyond the next few weeks.

And that was their commitment to fabricated reality biting them in the ass. What was their stat? 75% of Americans disliked the ACA? Well in that group half of them disliked it because it didn’t go far enough in a progressive direction, or at least did not want repeal. They took a stat out of context to push their preconceived agenda. Then mistook the spin as reality. You take the 25% who liked it just fine, toss in those hidden in their bs polling that didnt actually want repeal. And the vast majority of Americans were and are against repeal.

Obama care was never as unpopular as they convinced themselves it was. And in pushing this shit in the current environment all they seem to have done is cause some of that minority who were for repeal to realize “shit, I’m about to lose my health insurance”.

4 Likes

that is awesome.

5 Likes

Eight years? The ACA was signed into law in 2010.

4 Likes

Paul Ryan has Leave it to Beaver hair.

There. I said it.

3 Likes

What he really means is “We’re not trying to accommodate special interests that don’t ahem… you know… well, campaigns don’t finance themselves!”

2 Likes

I stand corrected.

FTFY; no need to thank me.

5 Likes

“Republicans Land a Punch on Health Care, to Their Own Face”

11 Likes

I’m stunned that seems to be it? Their first try failed so republicans are just giving up? No second try? What?

BTW, my phone auto correct changed Republicans to republic sorry as I was typing this comment.

2 Likes

If at first you don’t succeed, fuck it.

12 Likes

This blather sounds just like Trumps campaign in a nutshell!

You’ll have plans that nobody’s even thinking about today. They will have plans that, today, nobody has even thought about.

Is that some top-dollar insight, or what?

7 Likes

“Why not both?”

Yeah, I keep failing to wrap my head around the probability that Trump doesn’t have a normal notion about, or interest in, objective reality, but instead floats around in a sea of bullshit in which he occasionally makes use of nuggets of info when it suits him, some of which turn out to be correct, largely accidentally. Constant deflection and delusion are both parts of his existence.

That requires acknowledging that the Republicans have become increasingly extreme - increasingly reactionary. That’s not something anyone really wants to dwell on, I think, because it’s either disturbing or undermines the “both parties” false equivalencies and/or Democrats don’t want to acknowledge that they’ve turned into less-racist versions of '60s Republicans.

Well, it was, to some degree. The slight breeze that happened at the same time, however…

Since he’s always talking about how great he is at making deals, that rather suggests that he’s actually totally crap at it. He’s presenting the idea that Obamacare will explode (though if it does, it’ll only be because of Republican sabotage), and Democrats will be so desperate to change it, compromise won’t be necessary of something.

Maybe. Just because they say they’re not proposing a new bill, that doesn’t mean they won’t, and even if they don’t propose a new bill, there’s a lot they can do to sabotage the ACA through executive orders, HHS, and bits in other bills that aren’t primarily about health care. But yeah, I don’t get why this was “one try at a health care bill and forget it,” even so. I can understand why Trump isn’t interested - he’s a child with a child’s attention span, but everyone else? Either it’s an acknowledgement that they’ve actually got nothing, or they believe Trump’s idea that the ACA will explode, putting them in a much better position to try it again.

11 Likes

That’s psychopathic. They’re willing to trade actual human lives, human American lives, human American voters’ lives in order to make themselves, their associates, and above all else, their non-human corporations a little bit richer.

That’s fucking evil. I hope they all end up swinging from gallows in the public square for such a psychopathic ideal of avariciousness and stupidity.

8 Likes

An additional factor is that, these days, any major piece of legislation has a very limited shelf life before it gets torn to shreds by opposition, which is always more vocal than support. Therefore, the usual strategy is to try to cram it through quickly. Sometimes it works, but when it fails, everyone is left with a very sour taste and you have to wait a while before it’s even possible to try again.

Not that AHCA didn’t deserve to die.

Are you sure that isn’t a deliberate strategy? “Good news, fellow Americans! Thanks to your lobbying and donations, and to Dear Leader’s unwavering willpower, we have overthrown the evil Obamacare and replaced it with the Trumpcare that you now enjoy!”

5 Likes

Ah, but of course he did just that!

“In an interview with The Washington Post, Trump deflected any responsibility for the setback and instead blamed Democrats. “We couldn’t get one Democratic vote,” he said”

1 Like

The trumpcare that suddenly dumped like, 20 million people. At least. I’m willing to bet that a lot of people would have just gone without and died if tRump and his party got their way.