"Obamacare is law of the land" as replacement fails in House

Ok, well, of course he can say the words that attempt to lay the blame on (D), but any one with half a brain will understand what actually happened.

Edit: Yikes! :flushed:

Blessed with total control of government, Republicans can only think of how best to burn the house down – and they’re not even doing a good job at that. The House speaker, Paul Ryan, unjustly heralded as a policy wonk, tried to rush his healthcare bill to the floor for a vote on Thursday, only to find the moderates and extremists in his party rebelling. On Friday, Donald Trump was forced to pull the bill, due to lack of support from his own party.
It was a humiliating defeat, which he tried to blame – unbelievably – on the Democrats.
Ryan’s Trumpcare was a horrendous concoction and should disabuse fawning congressional reporters of the notion that the speaker is a man of deep intellect and self-reflection.

And it gets worse

8 Likes

However, remove “tatorship” and you come close.

5 Likes

“Suffer”? Maybe I’m jaded, but I doubt it. Ryan will suffer. The people dependent on a healthcare system he now has no compulsion to make work will suffer. Trump will just scapegoat, deflect, and move on. This just gives yet another data point in our lists of the horrible, stupid, incompetent, and/or evil things he’s done that we can continue to marvel over incredulously and wonder how he survives – while he continues to dupe his eager-to-be-duped followers and wreck our government.

5 Likes

Do you really think, had it passed, though, “Trumpcare” would have done anything but harm his political fortunes in the long term?

Given his options–do nothing, pass a shit bill that he owns, or appear to try his best to pass a bill and have it fail despite his heroic efforts–I still say this was the best by far for him in the long run.

Whatever they came up with was going to be shit–and only a fool would want to own it come mid-terms. As big as it seems now, the particulars of this defeat are not what’s going to be remembered – at least not in such stark terms after the spin begins in earnest. It will be remembered by many as fall guy Ryan’s failed plan–or the work of disloyal Republicans that need to be purged–or Democrats. And he doesn’t have the healthcare albatross around his neck anymore.

3 Likes

I think what’ll suffer the most, for Trump, is his credence and reputation among his own party in Congress. He made a fool of himself by making empty promises, trying to negotiate and deal while being clearly clueless about the bill’s contents, and throwing various caucus members under various buses. I think Trump’s already using up his stockpile of good faith. Getting anything else done, after this, will be much more difficult.

7 Likes

Remember the threats he made to Republican congressfolks yesterday? “Pass the bill now, or he’d refuse to repeal the ACA at all”?

Was listening to a podcast earlier today (538, maybe? Either that or NPR Politics.) which suggested that he actually lost Republican votes for the bill after making that threat. I can’t imagine that helped party unity very much.

It’s nice to hear that they’re moving on to tax reform next. That sounds heaps easier to wrangle broad support for than healthcare reform. Far, far fewer special interests to throw spanners in the works, right? :wink:

12 Likes

In the old normal, I’d agree with you. But this is the new normal. I still think all things considered, it went pretty well for him. He turned a (long-term) no-win into at least a (long term) partial win with lots of boogeymen to blame and distance when Obamacare fails (edit: due to the GOP’s machinations).

From his interview with Robert Costa right after the Bill was pulled:

"you know, I’ve been saying for years that the best thing is to let Obamacare explode and then go make a deal with the Democrats and have one unified deal. And they will come to us; we won’t have to come to them,” he said. “After Obamacare explodes.”

“The beauty,” Trump continued, “is that they own Obamacare. So when it explodes, they come to us, and we make one beautiful deal for the people.

My question for the president: Are you really willing to wait to reengage on health care until the Democrats come and ask for your help?

“Sure,” Trump said. “I never said I was going to repeal and replace in the first 61 days” — contradicting his own statements and that of his own adviser, Kellyanne Conway, who told CNN in November that the then-president-elect was contemplating convening a special session on Inauguration Day to begin the process of repealing the Affordable Care Act.

and

“Hey, we could have done this,” he said. “But we couldn’t get one Democrat vote, not one. So that means they own Obamacare and when that explodes, they will come to us wanting to save whatever is left, and we’ll make a real deal.”

As he waits for Democrats, I asked, what’s next on health care, if anything, policy-wise?

“Time will tell. Obamacare is in for some rough days. You understand that. It’s in for some rough, rough days,” Trump said.

“I’ll fix it as it explodes,” he said. “They’re going to come to ask for help. They’re going to have to. Here’s the good news: Health care is now totally the property of the Democrats.”

Speaking of premium increases, Trump said: “When people get a 200 percent increase next year or a 100 percent or 70 percent, that’s their fault.”

To be honest, the biggest losers today are Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer,” Trump said of the House minority leader and the Senate minority leader. “Because now they own the disaster known as Obamacare.”

and

“This is a process,” Trump concluded, “and it’s going to work out very well. I was a team player, and I had an obligation to go along with this.”

BTW, He managed to say “Paul is not to blame” at least 4 times in the interview–often unprompted. Which, of course, means he is planning to make very sure that Paul is seen as very much to blame.

7 Likes
2 Likes

Plan B: Break the ACA, blame it on Obama:

8 Likes

Welll at least they’ve saved their precious narrative.

13 Likes

How Republicans look today:

How Republicans will look if they repeal/break and do not replace with an actual something:

4 Likes

I’m still waiting for a longform interview with this guy about all this. I imagine he wakes up laughing every morning before pouring himself a drink. A year old, but this cracks me up every time it resurfaces.

11 Likes

Apparently, his core base of supporters don’t care. They’ll buy his argument that it was the democrats fault, because it’s always the democrats fault.

But still - the majority of white women still voted for Trump.

9 Likes

Well, people can just move to different states, yeah? /s

6 Likes

I don’t think that’s an unfair concern, given that they are an organization for retired people and that many older people live on a fixed income, with very little wiggle room for financial change. [quote=“oldtaku, post:60, topic:97652”]
I would love to see Trump raging at the AARP, it would be glorious
[/quote]

This would be amazing!

5 Likes

I think that’s true for one part of the GOP, the Freedom Caucus, but plenty of moderate republicans felt that the medicaid rollback was a huge problem. The moderate and right wing of the GOP tanked this bill.

3 Likes

In other words, he’s a partisan hack!

4 Likes

Actually I think Trump dodged a bullet, if not a freight train. If the Republican plan had gotten through – any version of it – much pain would have been inflicted on many who voted for Trump, and this would occur in 2018, an election year for senators and representatives. Now Trump can make up some story about saving Americans from his own legislation.

4 Likes

Calling people “geniuses” or “presidential material” is how right wing think tanks reward people for screwing their constituents. Sadly politicians are often foolish enough to believe their hype: see Scott Walker’s 2016 presidential run.

4 Likes

Don’t you dare say anything against that beautiful genius!

4 Likes