Odd Stuff (Part 5)

Nonstop skiing

How far do you think you could ski in a day? That’s what must have been on the minds of ultraskiers Teemu Virtanen and Susanna Ylinen when they attempted to break the 24-hour world records for men and women on Tuesday.

Tabloid Ilta-Sanomat covered the spectacle as Virtanen and Ylinen spent an entire 24 hours circling the Lahti Stadium on skis.

The 56-year-old Virtanen previously held the record, but lost it to Hans Mäenpää who skied a total 472.007 kilometres [~293.29 miles] in a day. It took several attempts for Virtanen to regain the top spot, but on Tuesday he beat out Mäenpää with a new record of 475.88 kilometres [~295.69 miles].

“I don’t think anyone else my age will break that record,” Virtanen said after skiing for 24 hours straight.

Ylinen beat the old record of 375.564 kilometres [~233.36 Miles] set by Anni Angeria in 2018 with a new women’s world record of 388.78 kilometres [~241.57 miles].

10 Likes

“I was trying to make contact with one of the fair folk when it happened,” explained Turnip. “I know that may sound like the ramblings of a lunatic and once I would have agreed with you. However, after my encounter with a member of the Tylwyth Teg the other week on top of the Blorenge I’m one of the wide awake gang now. I know those mythical creatures are real and if we had attempted to catch it, instead of fleeing the scene in fright we could have been kings of the world. Fairies can grant wishes see, and now we know they’re real we’re going to capture one and make it do our bidding.”

17 Likes

what could possibly go wrong? :man_shrugging:t2:

14 Likes

I think anyone trying this in Iceland would be in legal trouble.

8 Likes

from the article:
Semi-professional long-distance runner Johnny Turnip believes he has found a portal to the hidden realms

12 days early, surely?

8 Likes

AR : Trōls

https://trollmuseum.no/

You never know when you might be in Tromoso.

9 Likes
10 Likes

Love their ticket page

13 Likes
12 Likes

15 Likes

Call me a skeptic on this one. Even recognizing the film had too many of sexual innuendos for a film most people thought of as a kid’s film, that’s just too bizarre. Plus that post claims Marvel vetoed it. I don’t think Marvel had much input in those early movies. They just sold the rights and hoped for the best.

From IMDB: Alternate versions

In the UK two cuts totaling 46 secs were made to secure a PG rating. One is of Lea Thompson pulling a condom out of Howard’s wallet, the other is of the bad guy sticking his tongue in a car cigarette lighter socket to recharge himself. The scene with the condom was left intact on the film’s television premiere on the BBC. Although the cuts were fully restored in 2008 for the 12-rated Metrodome release the same company reissued the film later in the year with a PG certificate, and this release lost 52 secs of cuts to photo shots in a sex magazine and a scene where Howard works in a sleazy sauna parlour.

1 Like

You think so? :rofl:

“Not a lot goes on in Powys so we thought it’d give the natives something to talk about during the dark nights and dull days… She’s lived in a caravan for years, giving Tarot card readings to finance her chocolate addiction and listening to Rick Astley records. They help with her gout apparently.”

3 Likes
10 Likes

Heh!
Went and read the whole article this time.
As they say in Leek Country - “That’s Lovely”.

a ‘bunch of goons who were meddling in the higher powers,’

2 Likes

Our style guide for all documents, internal, external and emails is horrible dumbed-down faux friendly mush. Always I’ll, you’ll we’ve and you’re, never I have or I shall, more than 2 commas in a sentence is verboten, and semicolons are Right Out (fucking heathens that they are). It’s cringe, and I hate it.

This, mark you, is the same Comms dept. who have a: sent login codes to millions of people comprising of numbers and upper and lower case characters in fucking 12 point Arial, so noone could tell an uppercase i from a lower case l, and b: then, THEN they redid the whole thing so the codes were 9 upper case letters, but didn’t put a goddamn Scunthorpe filter on it, so we sent out swears and racial slurs like a million offensive monkeys with typewriters.

It has been a very difficult few weeks, thank you for listening.

11 Likes

I was with you until here:

5 Likes

From

11 Likes

20 Likes

Not gonna lie… I would buy that…

13 Likes

14 Likes