Of pasta and patents

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/01/of-pasta-and-patents.html

8 Likes

Screw the background, I just want to see more gifs of pasta machines!

26 Likes

I want a 3D pasta printer!

12 Likes

The most fascinating thing to me about these machines is that the semolina is so hard, it actually wears the solid bronze dies, which have to be replaced regularly. Pasta don’t mess around.

9 Likes

Pasta is the one food I prefer pre-made. Doing it myself was just timeconsuming and I never liked the end product as much, usually too doughy, no matter how dry I made them.

5 Likes

@pesco Your assemblage of images and animations puts me very much in mind of the unnarrated Sesame Street how stuff is made documentaries from back in the day (gum balls, tortillas, etc.… actually the tortilla one was narrated, wasn’t it?).

Yay!

8 Likes

Baking bread (e.g., focaccia) with semolina (or a blend) gives impressively different character.

2 Likes

The best part of old Olive Garden was watching the spaghetti get made

1 Like

Wait! Pasta is made?! I thought it was farmed.

26 Likes

Right?
Those look vaguely…
disturbing…
Can’t put my finger
On it …

1 Like

They could use titanium, but people would miss the bronzy colour and flavour.

2 Likes

9 Likes

As long as it’s whole grain
with marinara sauce
( loaded w peppers n onions)
toasted garlic bread
grated cheddar
Red wine
:::::::::::: excuse me:::::::: gotta’ go to
Eat This Meal. Now!

7 Likes

3 Likes

Banksy strikes again!

4 Likes

Our kitchen is basically a shrine to two words:
Pasta
Pesto

6 Likes

Add goat cheese, smoked hot Italian sausage, and portobello mushrooms and that is a fine evening.

Love that red wine (Malbec)…

1 Like

The big difference is apparently the surface texture of the finished pasta: Bronze dies makes for a rougher surface, which helps it hold on to sauces.

4 Likes

… especially that hot Italian
sausage

1 Like

Pasta di minotti with Nduja sausage stirred in.