Ohio: White supremacist terrorist, 20, arrested before he could massacre Jewish people

one thing to keep in mind is that nazis aren’t just “hicks”.

this is the best i could find real quick. basically, yes: hate groups are more prevalent in rural, poor, and poorly educated areas. only, it’s not just only them. they exist in almost every part of the country and have a wide range of economic power and education levels.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/03/where-hate-groups-are-concentrated-in-the-us/555689/

6 Likes

Ireland has a history of fascist and semi-fascist movements (thread).

4 Likes

Wrong Dublin mon frere!

This one happens to be a sleepy, wealthy suburb of Columbus, most famous for being the corporate home of square hamburgers.

5 Likes

Thank you That.Lady - and everyone else who responded to my post - I was really just looking for a vent to my frustration and I was rewarded with an actual rational, intelligent discussion filled with facts and insights that I hadn’t deeply considered. The biblical issues in particular were something I hadn’t considered. One final thought comes to mind, how can people who claim to believe in an omnipotent God who created everything, controls everything, and foresees everything, think that their actions can have any impact on that god’s plan? That “He (and they all believe it’s a he) may be God, but I can trick him!”

5 Likes

In a medical sense I am afraid yes, you are wrong.

You can teach a normal person to be a killer. Militaries do it all the time. You can’t teach someone to be a schizophrenic or bipolar.

17 Likes

Yes, it’s wrong. I get where you’re coming from, but the problem is that term is already used for something else, with a different meaning.

I think the term you’re looking for is “evil.” That might be as semantically close as we can get.

14 Likes

It depends how determinist their theology is. Those who believe in a strictly determinist theology believe that they are selected in the omnipotent God’s plan to fill that role. In the more free-will driven theologies it tends towards believing that by setting achieving the condiditions they are effectively filling their end of a covenant and God will move forward with its end when that happens. Neither considers it a trick.

4 Likes

Yes. It is very wrong and we have rules here against such mislabeling. Thinking like that harms people with mental illness. It means people start thinking it’s okay to lock us up, even though mentally ill people are far less likely to harm people than other sub-sets of the population, like white males who don’t like having their entitlement and power challenged.

I was going to flag your comment under the rules, but I am giving you and others who think that’s “reasonable” an opportunity to learn better.

11 Likes

I’m just pleased to see someone using the phrase “immanentizing the eschaton”

Hadn’t thought of that in a very long time.

2 Likes

(Jew here, whose father’s family left Germany in 33) White supremacists only want to get Jews out of America. They don’t mind them in Israel. Many actually admire Israel for creating what they (erroneously) believe to be an ethnostate (it’s actually a very multiethnic, though 80% Jewish, country). The idea is 1 country, 1 ethnicity. Kind of an odd belief that doesn’t hold up under any kind of scrutiny, but there are Denmark, Japan, Turkey, and a few others that actually fit the model.

2 Likes

Fully congruent with the beliefs of ISIS.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.