Oklahomans overdosing on ivermectin are swamping emergency rooms

13 Likes

I consider “horse dewormer abusers preventing gun users from getting speedy medical treatment” the most American headline ever.

11 Likes

Such a casual reference to gunshot victims is jarring to me, a non-USAian. I know there’s… problems… keeping your guns in your pants, but c’mon.

I do wish to complain about the photo used for a similar story in Rolling Stone magazine. Even though it’s correctly captioned as a lineup for vaccinations, it’s stupid misleading under that headline.

Note: this post shall not be construed, misconstrued, under- or over-contrued as supporting the use of Ivermectin other than as described on the label. Still smarting from the beatdown I got earlier this week… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

We average around 30,000 gunshot deaths per year in the US. Last year it was 44,000. That’s combined homicide and suicides by gun. It’s an insane number of gun deaths for a supposedly 1st world nation.

12 Likes

Your “questions” have been asked and answered. Any further “looking to understand” is just sealioning.

13 Likes

Clearly the worst crime in the history of all mankind… /s

5 Likes

We can call them stables.

3 Likes

John Oliver did a beautiful dissection of Alex Jones’ methods and madness.

Concluding with “[Alex Jones] is right: if you place small clips in isolation, he looks like a loon. But if you play them in context: he looks like a skilled salesman spending hours a day frightening you about problems like refugees spreading disease, and then selling you an answer.”

The John Oliver segment was done in 2016. The previous year, Alex Jones’ turnover was $45M, mostly from selling products he claimed would fix the lunatic problems he ranted about.

Jones is very good at what he does, unfortunately. I’m not the least bit surprised he’s in on ivermectin.

12 Likes

I see what you did there.

17 Likes

I have at least one colleague here in Los Alamos that collects this stuff. Even has some discrete instruments to tote along for checking the radioactiveness.

I’m more partial to vaseline-glass. And I do travel with a UV light. The green glow is very pretty!

10 Likes

Not long after Fukushima, I saw an art installation that was a dark room filled with chandeliers made from Vaseline-glass, lowered to a height you could bump into if you wanted. The room had UV lighting so the glass all glowed. The chandeliers had signs underneath with country names, and were sized in proportion to the country’s level of nuclear reactor installations. It was pretty striking.

4 Likes

If it was at a height you could bump into that could be quite striking

11 Likes

It certainly gives an entirely new meaning to the expression “healthy as a horse”.

4 Likes

It’s been over or close to 40,000 for a while now.

That number includes about 10,000 accidental deaths, a large proportion of which involves children. :sleepy:

7 Likes

Chicks and ducks and geese better scurry
When I start poopin’ out gobs of slurry…

6 Likes

There might be problems with this story.

14 Likes

I now marvel at how many of my fellow citizens are not soulless grifters, when I see how many others are shoving money at the most transparently dumb “alternative” cures. I’m too lazy to be a criminal but the opportunities have never been riper in this great nation.

6 Likes

yuck.

3 Likes

Well hey, now I’m starting to see a potential upside to all this:

6 Likes

One of my favourite pieces of writing about people.

https://www.seattlepi.com/local/opinion/article/Apple-brown-bettys-into-the-breach-1067052.php

TL;DR - if more than a tiny percentage of people were soulless grifters, society would never have been built in the first place. The fact that it has tells us that we’re surrounded by decent people.

The patterns of human history mix decency and depravity in equal measure. We often assume, therefore, that such a fine balance of results must emerge from societies made of decent and depraved people in equal numbers.

But we need to expose and celebrate the fallacy of this conclusion so that, in this moment of crisis, we may reaffirm an essential truth too easily forgotten, and regain some crucial comfort too readily forgone.

Good and kind people outnumber all others by thousands to one. The tragedy of human history lies in the enormous potential for destruction in rare acts of evil, not in the high frequency of evil people. Complex systems can only be built step by step, whereas destruction requires but an instant.

17 Likes