Old Paul Ryan gaffe goes viral: "We're not going to give up on destroying the health care system"

Can we please stop using “dickering about the price” language as a put down? Implying someone is a whore, and that being a whore is appropriate for criticism, is both ad-hominem and sex (worker) negative.

3 Likes

I have those. Great in theory, but fell apart on first wear. I live with someone who possesses a sewing machine and knows how to use it, or it would be in a landfill somewhere by now.

1 Like

What has a word probably derived from the latin for ten hides (decuria) got to do with sex work?

5 Likes

Um…maybe don’t look up your definitions on urban dictionary? It really doesn’t have anything to do with sex work.

Which shows it’s a play on the word rather than the definition of the word.

6 Likes

That’s a fascinating personal anecdote.

The puchline to the joke has nothing to do with that word.

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2012/03/07/haggling/

Know what’s cheap? Concern driving trollies when someone you like makes a mistake.

2 Likes

10 Likes

Charles.

The point of the original joke is not that sex work is worthy of criticism. It is that someone who would pretend to be above it would not be for the right price. The only one criticising the act is the one refusing it conditionally, and not anyone else.

In the case of the joke, the woman who would actually do a thing for the right price, but would judge it harshly until that price was met.

in the case of the analogy, Paul Ryan who would actually do a thing for the right price etc…

Humor can be fickle. I hope you now get the joke and see the aptness of the analogy, and realize that nobody is implicitly saying that sex work or politics are inherently worthy of criticism, but hypocrites are.

11 Likes

Fuck Snopes. Stop giving credit to that piece of garbage.

We tend to like reasons around here a lot more than arbitrary unsupported insults.

6 Likes

Randroids never order pizza; the prospect of redistributing the pie traumatizes them.

9 Likes

13 Likes

Sometimes a foot is just a foot.

4 Likes

I just love those rare moments of honesty.

4 Likes

This brings to the exchange on 30 Rock between Liz (Tina Fey) and Jack (Alec Baldwin) when Jack leaves NBC to work for the government:

LIz: What are you in charge of exactly?
Jack: We’re sharing the load.It’s a bit of homeland security… extreme weather preparedness and the war on the poor.
Liz: You mean the war on poverty?
Jack: Yeah, okay, let’s go with that.

12 Likes

If Randroids never order Pizza it’s because there is always a Cici’s in their hood.

2 Likes

If that’s how you took the joke then I guess I see why you don’t think it stands out as sexist. I think it’s a super misogynist joke.

Without that, I don’t see how the joke is even a joke. Offering someone a large sum of money for work they don’t want to do is a good way to get them to agree to do it. Getting agreement and then demonstrating you were never willing to pay in the first place is a good way to annoy people. If we don’t ascribe moral value to sex work, then the reason a person would be irritated at the offer is obvious. Replace “have sex with me” with “clean out my elephant’s stable” and the interlocutor sounds like an irritating idiot instead of a witty man.

The joke is based on the cultural ideas that it’s witty for a many to imply a woman is willing to sexually degrade herself and that having sex for money is degrading (but, as discussed above in the thread, somehow paying money for sex is not). If a person reads that joke and assumes she is a hypocrite because of how she judges prostitutes as opposed to assuming she’s offended that someone would think she valued herself so little as to do such an arduous chore for such a paltry sum, then that person has imported sexist and/or anti-sex-work ideas into their reading.

6 Likes

I think the woman (and it’s a special kind of socialite being called out, not womanhood itself) is the only one behaving like a misogynist, in the joke, and that’s the joke.

Definitely can’t avoid reading in the other parts though, as you mention. They’re implicit baggage, but they’re implied by the presence of the socialite and the smoke filled room, in which such work WAS judged. In a way not unlike the way this ACA thing has gone down.

Can’t really extract it fully from it’s environs though. Not sure it’s one to ‘take back’.

Papa Murphy’s seems like more of a Randroid thing. No delivery, not even a kitchen. Walk in, walk out with a frozen pizza, take it home and bake it yourself. It’s the most Rugged Individualist way of making a pizza besides making the damn thing yourself from scratch.

You don’t even need to divide the pie. Eat it by yourself in one sitting, while watching Sons Of Anarchy on the Netflix account from your ex-girlfriend of three years ago.

4 Likes

Is the Invasion Mission Earth Dekology on the shelf below, or above?

6 Likes

I hope the bastard’s been crying himself to sleep since Thursday.