One voter shows up at Santorum event in Iowa

Citation? Not that I’m a Hilary fan by any means, but I do think that she has an ethusiastic support base within the democratic party, like it or not.

Plus, Hilary Clinton vs. Santorum? No contest there.

2 Likes

There’s an old joke in Iowa where a reporter asks an old lady who she plans to support in the presidential election. She responds, “I’m really not sure yet. I’ve only met each of the candidates twice so far.”

5 Likes

For whatever reason, the republicans seem to have a lot more of the ‘no-hoper hitting the primaries to boost the profile of their next book or talking head gig’ effect than democrats do.

Neither party is all that encouraging with whoever they do put forward as a real candidate; but for some reason, unknown to me, democrats don’t unload the clown car during the run-up to annointing the actual candidate.

2 Likes

I demand a recount!

3 Likes

Why? That won’t change the Supreme Court’s non-quantitatively-based decision for who will be president at all…

And yet, he’s still rated more favorably than Chris “Bridgegate” Christie, or Donald “All of the women on The Apprentice flirted with me - consciously or unconsciously – that’s to be expected” Trump.

I wonder how many voters would show up for a Voldemort rally.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Why shouldn’t it work like that? Open a meta topic! :wink:

Ohhhhhh! Man, that headline is confusing. Turns out, it was a Rick Santorum event.

12 Likes

Oh, I didn’t realise it was just a nickname.

Alternate headline:
santorum’s audience quadruples during speech.

1 Like

Elegantly played, my good sir.

I’m reasonably sure that won’t be the final pairing.

Bernie Sanders is talking to lots of real voters and taking questions from lots of reporters, and I am absolutely rooting for him.

3 Likes

Must be God’s will.

It really bugs the hell out of me that folks in the media can’t mention Sanders without a statement about him being a long-shot or the like.

2 Likes

No, it wouldn’t be, I agree. But who would it be? Bush? Graham? Not much of a contest either. The republicans just have no one worth while this time.

I’m a huge fan of Bernies, but my point was that clinton has her backers, and much of that is authentic in nature, not just the Clinton hype machine.

Chafee is the best Republican in the race. He’s okay.

1 Like

Hence, we won’t ever hear about him.

2 Likes

Not least because he’s running as a Democrat.

Also, because his platform includes switching to the Metric system.

5 Likes

I suspect that the disparity in numbers is considerably greater; but I do share your displeasure with the degree to which candidate appearances, ‘town halls’, and so on are brutally stage-managed for a potemkin-populist effect.

Given that presidents and would-be presidents do get shot from time to time, the presence of a few ear-radio types is understandable; but the relentless effort, on both sides of the aisle, to ensure that only the loyalists can be seen by the cameras is pretty nauseating.

It seems to be part of the general tendency toward constraining the options as tightly as possible before ‘letting the people decide’, lest pesky 3rd party or even ‘non-centrist’ primary party candidates slip through.

The republicans are every bit as good at it as the democrats(signed loyalty pledges to get into Bush events, ‘free speech zones’,etc.) but the democrats appear to have a much tighter handle on the presentation of candidates during primary season; so there is a period where republican candidates roam relatively free, until the actually serious one is rolled out; while the democrats tend to be a bit quieter until the anointing.

1 Like