Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Really gonna hope this is sarcasm gone overboard.

5 Likes

3 Likes

Here in the UK the health services are simply recommending that if you catch it and you’re not susceptible to pulmonary … failure … then you’re just going to have a rubbish cold.

A bunch of cases have been identified as having flown into London, travelled around the transport system etc before getting checked out, usually because of fever.

It’s also flu season here.

But from what we’re seeing - CoVid19 is highly contagious, has good survival on surfaces, and I’ll be damned if it’s not airborne. Everyone in London seems to have a cough.

For my money, this horse is well out of the gate.

9 Likes

Honestly, the only real data points we have seem to point to smoking as the highest risk factor, amplifying all the usual flu-type risk factors. Lots more dangerous than flu in a smoking population, not so much among non-smokers. So, yeah Smoking Bad.

14 Likes

“The Daily Mash” is a British humor site

This ad-blocking hosts file which is also a human-readable tutorial for itself might help with the pop-ups

8 Likes

From what I’ve read, the incidence of smoking in China is very high. That’s certainly worrisome.

7 Likes

huge gender disparity, though. ~50% of males, while only ~2% of females. And those ratios show up in the mortality statistics. I have to wonder (with no data to back it up) if this may not be a contributor to the huge difference in mortality within China vs outside.

10 Likes

Aha. Yes, high % smokers in China. Maybe someone should tell them about Class Action Lawsuits, and the sheer number of claims could hammer Big Tobacco (the evil swine) for once, and for all.

3 Likes

Not over yet

7 Likes

Daily Mash is basically a British The Onion.

5 Likes

But, who disinfects the robots?

8 Likes

starting to sound like the future we were warned about

6 Likes
7 Likes

Not gonna end well, I am starting to suspect.

8 Likes

by comparison, the regular old flu kills about a thousand people a day

10 Likes

It’s not so much the raw number of deaths as much as the case fatality rate that is concerning. Influenza generally runs at 0.05%-0.1% case fatality (deaths/cases) whereas we really don’t know what covid-19 is gonna do, but preliminary numbers put it at maybe 2.5%. There is not enough data to know that for certain, though. What is known is that it is a mean bug, it is highly transmissible and it can kill. And there is virtually no immunity to it. Oh, and smoking is bad. Biggest indicator I see is that when the professionals are getting worked up over it, and the frontline medical providers are getting sick and dying, it is some strong shit and needs to be taken seriously.

17 Likes
14 Likes

Of note: 8 deaths strongly suggests a hell of a lot more than 43 cases. And outside-of-China cases are (statistically) rising at a much faster rate than inside-China cases.

12 Likes

ETA: oh, and apparently people infected with the new coronavirus are contagious two days before they start to show any symptoms.

10 Likes

Here’s data I had not seen previously. 80% of cases are classified as “mild” leading to full recovery. 20% lead to complications requiring intensive care. 20%. That is a HUGE number! This is from the WHO, which is usually fairly reliable. And the first case was seen in Africa. Another article cites potential 27 day incubation. Just too much unknown about this bug, but each data point pretty consistently points in a shitty direction.

15 Likes