Ongoing coronavirus happenings

How is this lunatic still in his job?

As of Sunday, Sweden had reported 1,540 deaths tied to Covid-19, an increase of 29 from Saturday. That’s considerably more than in the rest of Scandinavia, but much less than in Italy, Spain and the U.K., both in absolute and relative terms.

My napkin math, earlier in this thread, suggested that Sweden was radically (~50%) worse than the US, despite being much less far along relative to first transmission. Am I completely wrong somehow?

7 Likes

Coronavirus: Will Sweden ever have a total lockdown?

Sweden has followed a different strategy in fighting the coronavirus compared to many other countries – though the aim of protecting vulnerable groups and reducing social contacts is the same, the Nordic country has stood out for its focus on voluntary measures rather than enforcing a lockdown. Should we expect a change any time soon?

https://www.thelocal.se/20200420/coronavirus-will-sweden-ever-have-a-total-lockdown

7 Likes

22 Likes
25 Likes

I just learned in another thread that “shitshow” has a different meaning in Denglish than in English.

3 Likes

And apparently none of the positive connotations that it has in German…

4 Likes

To be honest, the photos in that article don’t look all that different from what I can see while walking around Oslo. I suspect the biggest difference between the two countries has been the schools and the bars. (Norwegians have been arrested trying to sneak into Sweden to go to bars/clubs.)

I would kill for a Lou Malnati’s pizza. Local shops have frozen pizzas of a sort, but they just make me sad.

4 Likes

Pernio spotted as an symptom

9 Likes

You live in Norway and you don’t like Grandiosa?

1 Like

I come from Chicago, where Grandiosa wouldn’t even qualify as “pizza”.

5 Likes

@mr_raccoon Pernio spotted as an symptom

Saw something about this a few days ago in the NZ Herald, but their editorial standards have been a bit slack of late so I didn’t repeat it.

@d_r I would kill for a Lou Malnati’s pizza

Note to self for next trip to Chicago; I see they have one in the Loop. Something to cure the earned hangover :beers: next time I close down the bar at the Palmer House debating the Gettier Problem with members of the American Philosophical Society…

4 Likes

And of course, if Covid-19 spreads like wildfire, not only tons of people are going to die, the economy’s going to crash anyway from all the deaths, and the sick people, and the healthcare collapsing.

8 Likes

I think the message on that tank top wraps around the back…

23 Likes

Can’t find it because you can’t search Onebox text, but that’s already been covered by a post here: namely cities that responded most aggressively to the 1918 pandemic recovered faster economically.

11 Likes

Landlords gonna landlord.

11 Likes

I like it. It’s essentially saying, “Thank you, Republicans, for establishing over the past 40 years a strategic reserve of wealth. That strategic reserve can be tapped in this crisis by drawing down the wealth of billionaires for the wellbeing of us all.”

24 Likes

Sounds like the payment portal is living up to the quality one can expect from a hasty rollout too.

7 Likes

Well the only hospital in my rural NY county just got it’s first corpse truck from the state government

https://orleanshub.com/orleans-has-mortuary-trailer-just-in-case-hospital-overwhelmed/

14 Likes

Ok, now the two of you have my fullest attention.

3 Likes

Try the Milk Room around the corner in what used to be the Chicago Athletic Association (now a boutique hotel): https://www.chicagoathletichotel.com/restaurants/milk-room

It was once a literal speakeasy. And the drinks are well crafted. Definitely worth checking out, to change it up a bit without walking too far.

6 Likes