Ongoing coronavirus happenings

I’ll go ahead and say that’s a more bitter pill for Finland than it is for many nations.

4 Likes

20 Likes

6 Likes

Too non-specific. You might nuke some very fine people.

6 Likes

I‘m betting that everyone is sold out of those punchy things, just like everything else that suddenly became more useful.

4 Likes

We also asked American experts whether states can meet all or most of these benchmarks. Their answers coalesced around a single point: None of you are close to being ready.

11 Likes

Oil prices have just gone negative…

https://www.ft.com/content/a5292644-958d-4065-92e8-ace55d766654

:thinking:

11 Likes
2 Likes

The US President will be devastated. He so wanted to attend.

4 Likes

I had an extremely traumatic childhood.

I was just getting over it and had gotten a well paying job I was laid off from after a long string of low paying, highly intense gigs. Luckily the money I was going to spend on furniture also doubles as an emergency fund.

It absolutely will affect them, and while I’m terribly sad I also hope we’ll come out of this with more sympathy for people for whom trauma has been a barrier to success, lead to support for universal physical and mental health care, and possibly a UBI scheme to supplement existing social programs.

On my end, I’m so burnt out, I’m seriously considering just giving up and moving to SE Asia to be one of those weird bums who teaches English for a decade. I can’t keep working so hard, only to have things I don’t have control over smash me down. I simply can’t muster the energy to “just” learn Yet Another Thing. I can’t do it anymore, I just shut down, feel hopeless, and cry.

Edit: I got a “nice reply” for this which uh, is a bit lulzy, but well uh… I appreciate the sentiment folks :slight_smile:

15 Likes

I’ve read that about 6 times now and I can’t make sense of it…

The part of my brain that parses stuff like that is preoccupied by the possibility of beer and pizza prices going negative.

6 Likes
8 Likes

Ah, understandable.

Yeah, we do this stuff a lot.

Also, we have a tendency to use English (well, mostly US American) expletives very casually. I know I shocked some anglophones more than once doing that.

Anyway.
“Shitshow” might sound hard when describing the wording in that particular article on TP. But in general I am at odds with a lot of framing these days.
Sometimes I just whish for neutral news.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Does this virus have some kind of temporary immunosuppressant effect? All these weird symptoms that implicate all kinds of other pathogens… thrush fungi for anosmia, secondary bacterial pneumonia, odd little blood clots everywhere… Maybe it isn’t the virus causing the Covid symptoms, which seem like some insane smorgasbord of random badness to me, but secondary infections, which arise because for some period of time after infection, your immune system’s efficacy is greatly reduced. Am I totally off-base here?

1 Like

Gold-plated, velvet-lined, med-staffed “bunkers”.

WaPo: A billionaires’ compound with its own coronavirus testing center stokes anger on the French Riviera

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/a-billionaires-compound-with-its-own-coronavirus-testing-center-stokes-anger-on-the-french-riviera/ar-BB12UDN7?ocid=spartandhp

9 Likes

I expect any disease that causes massive cellular damage like this simply overwhelms the immune system, making other infections likely.

6 Likes

21 Likes

Wouldn’t it be a shocker if our contact tracing strategy only worked for relatively wealthy people?

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/04/2-billion-phones-cannot-use-google-and-apple-contract-tracing-tech

3 Likes

Oh when it’s their life they’re scared for, they are suddenly for it huh?

9 Likes