Ongoing coronavirus happenings

He does not pull his punches, does he?

4 Likes

Because anything that he feels worth doing is half assed at best.

7 Likes
17 Likes
13 Likes

From The Local:

Some of the legal measures currently in place in Sweden include a nationwide ban on public events for over 50 people, a ban on visiting elderly care homes, and rules requiring cafes, bars and restaurants to offer table service only and limit crowding, for example by spacing out tables.

Edit oh…

All schools, kindergartens and universities are to close. Most public events are banned. Bars and restaurants will be closed, except when they can keep customers at least one metre apart. With a drastically reduced number of customers, many are closing regardless.

In Finland we can only get takeaway.

6 Likes

18 Likes

And in Arizona, for now. Our governor is a billionaire from a mall ice cream chain, and he’s chomping at the bit for the slightest excuse to sacrifice a few hundred thousand minimum wage workers to save his stock portfolio.

7 Likes

12 Likes
8 Likes

In Norway there are still some restaurants open, provided they can space customers appropriately. The social distancing rules are officially more stringent here than Sweden, but in practice people in Sweden are voluntarily exceeding the minimum while here the rules are not always carefully followed. When I see photos of people milling about in Stockholm, honestly I see the same thing outside my window in Oslo. That’s why I said “there isn’t much operational difference between the two.”

Really, the biggest difference seems to be the schools and the bars, and Norway will be opening schools soon.

8 Likes

What’s the deal with the coronavirus tracing app? Cassandra the Information Technology Wobbegong explains

11 Likes

I’ve read several of his early kids books and they are okay but I love the Sally Lockheart books. They’re YA, set in a kind of steampunkish victorian England with a fiercely individual and determined heroine. They gradually become scorching hot with incandescent rage at how the upper class in imperial England (and Europe) is wealthy because of how they treat the poor, the colonised, and women. I think they are really underrated.

The first two were made into TV films by the BBC but I don’t think they were successful enough to finish. Just looked on BBC and they only have the Ruby in the smoke listed, must be wrong that they did the shadow in the North.

Hmmm… My elder daughter might be old enough to read these…

10 Likes
14 Likes

no really

24 Likes

They couldn’t just shut down and wait for John Snow to crunch the statistics and work out the method of transmission of Cholera, they had to get the beer moving again!

https://www.ph.ucla.edu/epi/snow/snowcricketarticle.html

6 Likes
10 Likes

The really important thing there is that the reporting is in Forbes, and not media which conservatives can dismiss as left-wing partisan. (Similarly, if the narrative that Trump is providing effective leadership on the crisis ever taken seriously in, say, The Nation, it will be time to pay attention.)

4 Likes

Trying To Make Sense Of The COVID Protests

Katy, Robert and Cody try to figure out the origins and mechanisms behind the current social distancing protests, and we mostly kind of maybe a little bit do that.

3 Likes
6 Likes

There is no such media.

13 Likes