Ongoing coronavirus happenings

I’ve been getting good use out of mine.

13 Likes

Same here, although I’ve had to change my normal routes. I usually commute 20km to work and most of that is on off-road shared trails, as are most of the recreational rides I do. Right now though, with the exception of really early mornings (and it’s getting a bit cold for that), the trails are really busy with walkers and on the narrow sections it’s impossible to stay a metre apart. So I’ve switched to cycling on roads that I’d otherwise wouldn’t consider and feel like my world has expanded, albeit in concrete and asphalt rather than the riverside I’m used to.

13 Likes

(from your link)

Holey buckets, this is the ultimate work-from-home online meeting! :laughing:

The trend in digital bike riding is not unique to Australia: the 104th edition of the Tour of Flanders bicycle race through Belgium two weeks ago was forced to go online, with 13 professional cyclists riding the 32km race from home using these trainers and the virtual reality app, Zwift.

Marshall was one of the thousands of fans who logged on to YouTube to watch the riders’ digital avatars racing through a virtual landscape, spliced with webcam shots of their real-life counterparts peddling away in their living rooms.

11 Likes
10 Likes

11 Likes

Beats the heck out of a standing desk…

That’s a very healthy and impressive commute distance!

Riverside sounds better, but if that’s too crowded then yeah, road it is. I just ride road, and just for recreation / fitness / state of mind, and it really works for all those things. When I go at night, these days, it’s essentially all the roads to myself, which is fantastic.

Mostly fantastic. A couple weeks ago I set out to ride a new route, looping toward downtown, up over a big hill then back home. On the way down the four-lane into town, I passed a police car parked off to the side. I didn’t quite catch what he said but it could have been “you need to be home before dark” or “you can’t be out after dark”. Which would have been strange because neither the governor’s order nor the city enforcement of it includes a curfew, and outdoor exercise is an allowed exception to the stay-at-home order. I ride with a printed copy of it in case it comes up. But rather than court trouble I bailed on the new climb and picked a different route home, one that stuck to local streets and neighborhoods. When I got home, I watched some city council meetings and read notices to verify, and yes, no curfew.

13 Likes
8 Likes

In Juggalos being more socially responsible than most gop governors news

30 Likes

Everything is fine…

22 Likes
21 Likes
11 Likes

For those of us who like English Premier League footie, there is an ongoing competition between the teams using EA Sports Fifa 20:

The players are really not all that good, but it is interesting if you know their on-field play; for example, I watched Moussa Sissoko (from the Spurs) playing and he plays in the game just like he does on the field, eg passing when he should take a strike.

8 Likes
8 Likes
16 Likes

I think that might be because nicotine is an ACE2 antagonist. So, not really “frenchest thing ever”, but informed by science (and still, a desperate measure - I guess getting this though the ethics board would have been difficult at any other time).

As always, this is very much preliminary, and just looking at this:

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=de&as_sdt=0%2C5&as_ylo=2020&q=+nicotine+ACE2&btnG=

makes me think that quite a lot of researchers are trying to cover all possible angles right now.

ETA: I hope no one tries to start smoking now! I mean it! Don’t even jest about it. Some people will be stupid.

From the results above:

12 Likes

Sadly the DUP only want to use this to get the army on the streets again. Because that was just so great.

Also u saw a yougov poll today suggesting that England may be just totally bored of NI:

Worth remembering that Al de Pfeiffel’s first big achievement in office was utterly fucking the unionists who kept them in power over. At least the unionist politicians a century ago knew to never trust the English. The current shower look to the American right for inspiration and are at sea.

16 Likes
8 Likes
2 Likes
7 Likes

I have the feeling that this piece should have contained a complete written statement of Järvinen on his position, giving him the chance to be comprehensive, clear, and provide evidence for his stance.

I do have this feeling a lot theses days.

5 Likes