Ongoing coronavirus happenings

21 Likes

I can almost smell the scrumptious, sizzling documentary about just this in the future:

Meat processing plant workers are concerned about President Donald Trump’s executive order that compels plants to remain open during the coronavirus pandemic. Some say they expect staff will refuse to come to work.

16 Likes

Some promising results from Gilead’s remdesivir trial.

Hospitalized patients with advanced COVID-19 and lung involvement who received remdesivir recovered faster than similar patients who received placebo, according to a preliminary data analysis from a randomized, controlled trial involving 1063 patients, which began on February 21.

Preliminary results indicate that patients who received remdesivir had a 31% faster time to recovery than those who received placebo (p<0.001). Specifically, the median time to recovery was 11 days for patients treated with remdesivir compared with 15 days for those who received placebo. Results also suggested a survival benefit, with a mortality rate of 8.0% for the group receiving remdesivir versus 11.6% for the placebo group (p=0.059).

ETA a clarification that the link (and any optimism) is to the NIAID study of remdesivir, not the Gilead Science study, which looks like it was, uh
 very unorthodox.

13 Likes

Which is why we can’t have our masters won’t let us have nice things like at least a temporary UBI.

12 Likes

I checked the webpage, including their own press coverage section. The medical press they get indicates this is legit.

However, I’ve yet to establish what their point is? I’ve recently seen emergency medical staff in action, on the streets, taking care of a homeless person who was under the influence of some mind-altering stuff (likely: alcohol). They took precautions, had FFP2 masks, the two handlers had disposable protective half-scrubs (something like a large bib for adults, with arms), and face protection. My practitioner has desinfectant and standard-issue chirugical facemasks, but would not allow people with known Covid-19 contacts and symptoms to enter. They need to inform the authorities and get tested. All HausĂ€rtzte and FachĂ€rtzte use this rule.

They cannot have full equipment, because we don’t have enough for everyone. They mitigate the risk through as much preventing exposure as possible. So, what exactly is the point of this protest, I wonder?

1 Like

In other news, @docosc: this looks bad.

Shit. Shit. Shit.

An unfriendly and very unwelcome reminder that We Don’t Know SHIT About SARS-CoV-2 in pediatrics. (I herby request to include the abbreviation WDKS in the Oxford Dictionary and Merriam Webster. I think I’ll need this often in the future.)

18 Likes

For anyone (like me) who’s forgotten who Gregory Rigano is, he’s the con artist who convinced Elon Musk and Donald Trump that hydroxychloroquine was a miracle cure in the first place

“Virologically cured?” :open_mouth:

NARRATOR: They were not.

There are so many links about this I’m not sure which ones to post

17 Likes

From a friend of a friend, so merely anecdotal, but still, a good reminder. I sometimes catch myself thinking, “Oh well, I’ll probably get it sooner or later, I’m healthy, I should be okay if I do.” Etc. Not that I’m anymore lax as a result. It’s more a sort of fatalism, brought on by despair over how poorly my country, the U.S., has been handling things.

I have had Covid-19 for the past two weeks. I feel like maybe there’s a stigma against talking about it, because I haven’t seen many posts saying “I had it, here’s what it’s like,” so I’m doing one. I’m back at the point where I’m functional again. For those of you sharing conspiracy theories, I suppose you’ll just believe I’m part of the conspiracy. For everyone else: it’s not like the flu, or the cold. It’s fucking awful. It’s the sickest I’ve been. It was scary. You might think that because you’re not old or because you’re generally healthy, that you needn’t worry, and I just want to say that in my experience that’s not true. You don’t want this disease. I still can’t walk up stairs without needing to pause to catch my breath at the end. Ever had a near drowning experience, or a dream of one? It’s that, but you’re breathing a lot, and it’s just not working the way it should. It’s like you can’t trust your own lungs. It was like that all the time for several days. I also felt like there was a brick strapped to my chest all the time. I still can’t sleep with my arms across my own chest, as it’s too much pressure. It also hurts, a lot, all over your body, in strange ways. It felt like I had a kidney stone (I’ve had one before) but in different parts of my body at different times. And it wipes you out. I slept about 12 hours a day. I’m normally a 6 to 7 hours a night guy. For those that know me:

I didn’t touch the bandoneón for two weeks.Anyway, please take care. I’m mostly better, and although I don’t know how long the fatigue and shortness of breath thing takes to pass, I assume it will. But please don’t flirt with the idea that you’ll just “get it and get through it.” You might. You might not. But you really don’t want to, trust me.

24 Likes

I wouldn’t worry. (In fact I don’t.) With people all done up like ‘urban activists’ these days (mask/ball cap), bad hair days will not be noticed much — if at all — especially when public exposure is limited.

urbhecepact1

4 Likes
4 Likes

Brazilian respirator made with a diving mask can help SUS, an organ equivalent to the British NHS.

A foreign company donated all the diving masks from its stock and a group of technological activists, called MotirĂ”, rolled up their sleeves, devising a way to adapt the equipment for use as mechanical ventilators in hositals that are desperately looking for this equipment.

From Tupi-Guarani, MotirĂ” means “gathering people to harvest or build something together, to help others”. In our case, a meeting of people seeking to create solutions and generate resources to act in the crisis generated by Covid-19.

All projects developed by this group are open source and have no commercial purpose.

http://www.motirosaude.com/

11 Likes

Credit Dan Tuohy/NHPR

27 Likes

We can only wish

compounding errors
Oglaf (Often NSFW)

Update: I though Twitter was banning these creeps? (/s I know of course that they won’t)

17 Likes

Zachary Quinto will have to play Rigano on the new Leverage

4 Likes

And in case anyone thought that it was any kind of real medical organization:

The “Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine” is Robert Mercer’s pet quack, with the many jars of urine.

Yet despite the lab coats and the official-sounding name, the docs of the AAPS are hardly part of mainstream medical society. Think Glenn Beck with an MD. The group (which did not return calls for comment for this story) has been around since 1943. Some of its former leaders were John Birchers, and its political philosophy comes straight out of Ayn Rand.

18 Likes

So, basically a witch’s curse then.

11 Likes

More like usually.

(I fluv Oglaf.)

17 Likes

(Mel Brooks Voice): Merchandising! Merchandising! Where the REAL money from the pandemic is made!

17 Likes

Who buys that garbage?

I mean is there really some trailer park somewhere in Missouri getting an inside track?

4 Likes

It kind of reminded me of this.

22 Likes