Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Great, now Trump thinks he’s invisible.

The saddest word in my Sunday RSS feed is “Safe”.

7 Likes

Fortunately it sounds like Ducey’s not completely on-board the crazy train:

In gratitude I’ll pretend to care how his name is spelt. For one post.

15 Likes
11 Likes

Drink up kiddies!

10 Likes

First world problems, I know but fucking hell does Face ID suck when you’re wearing a mask. I tried setting up an “alternate appearance” when I was wearing a mask and it detected my face was obscured! Stupid AI.

9 Likes

Anyone seen substantiated claims either way yet on whether this virus is mosquito borne?

3 Likes

Florida Man. No longer “funny”.

[Florida] state officials have stopped releasing the list of coronavirus deaths being compiled by Florida’s medical examiners, which has at times shown a higher death toll than the state’s published count.

16 Likes
10 Likes
7 Likes

Related:

https://twitter.com/essentialsign_/status/1255639144140660736?s=21

16 Likes
24 Likes
3 Likes
6 Likes

Apparently Sweden is spreading manure in its parks to discourage traditional Walpurgis and May Day gatherings.

8 Likes
3 Likes

Link identified between dietary selenium and outcome of Covid-19 disease

https://www.surrey.ac.uk/news/link-identified-between-dietary-selenium-and-outcome-covid-19-disease

Examining data from provinces and municipalities with more than 200 cases and cities with more than 40 cases, researchers found that areas with high levels of selenium were more likely to recover from the virus. For example, in the city of Enshi in Hubei Province, which has the highest selenium intake in China, the cure rate (percentage of Covid-19 patients declared ‘cured’) was almost three-times higher than the average for all the other cities in Hubei Province. By contrast, in Heilongjiang Province, where selenium intake is among the lowest in the world, the death rate from Covid-19 was almost five-times as high as the average of all the other provinces outside of Hubei. Most convincingly, the researchers found that the Covid-19 cure rate was significantly associated with selenium status, as measured by the amount of selenium in hair, in 17 cities outside of Hubei.

8 Likes

Let’s just hope people don’t overdo it. Selenium in small quantities is an important nutrient, but in larger quantities it becomes a vile poison.

11 Likes

That is a very true statement. This is the first I have heard of this particular constellation of symptoms. Scary as hell! You could leave out the “pediatrics” in your summary though. We don’t know shit about it overall, but that is slowly changing. Given the (increasingly inaccurate) attitude that peds don’t get COVID, they only spread it, there has been precious little effort spent understanding the presentation in kids.

20 Likes

I’ve seen it touted in multivitamins in the US, even though as I understand it, an ordinary US diet provides plenty of it.

6 Likes

Indeed, garlic will do quite nicely as a source of dietary selenium - as pointed out by one of Derek Lowe’s articles about a rather nasty selenium compound.

9 Likes