Ongoing coronavirus happenings

I have friends who are Sikh. I can’t even imagine what it took to make that choice.

I mean, other than human decency, a true belief in their faith, stuff like that.

28 Likes

I hope they contest it.

FTFY.

I’ve met a lot of guys like this, and they just don’t like being told no. They especially don’t like being told no by beta males, like a “lame security guard” in the “ghetto”. After all, this guy is supposed to have all the power, and to have this beta male wage slave security guard. Saying “please Mr Security Guard, please let me in” would also count as a loss. So the only solution is violence, threats of violence, or going after his job or family.

11 Likes

It’s a law firm; absolutely they will.

13 Likes
4 Likes
10 Likes

Boris Johnson’s sabbatical of compassion for anything other than stock values is officially over.

8 Likes

18 Likes

Sometimes I get the feeling that there are a great many Americans wandering around just looking for some to “stick it” to in order to feel powerful or important.

16 Likes

Not news as such, but detailed timeline.

19 Likes
17 Likes

Waiter! I can see a virus on my fork!

18 Likes

I really wish that toxic masculinity was a thing of past already. This kind of guys become even more aggressive when they are told no by women or non-binary people. I had to quit my former work, due to a coworker who started harassing after I refused to work for his private company for free. He was almost perfectly stereotypical alpha male.

17 Likes

This is a bad, bad message. One, we should still be staying home. Two… maybe check with mental health professionals who specialize in PTSD before telling people to be on alert against something they can’t fucking see but can kill them. Hypervigilance is bad. There are many, many ways this can go wrong (up to and including violence).

21 Likes
16 Likes

tl;dr; About 1% overall.

Perhaps not a hugely useful measure given how radically differently it affects different age cohorts, but if we do flatten the curve (i.e. don’t overwhelm our health system) but don’t get a vaccine before full infection, I guess the “good news” is that our losses should top out around 300,000 in the US. Whee! Hey, 1/5 of the way there already! Or a lot closer, if we count excess mortality. In three months. If the curve stays flat (i.e. infections per day stay steady from here on out) then we’ll be at full infection in another year, while the vaccine might be ready in 18 months.

Thanks @tekna2007, I didn’t math so good.

One percent of 300 million would of course be 3 million. So if we kept flat we might only lose 360,000 people before the a vaccine is developed. Victory! Open all the things! Sigh.

8 Likes

Yeah, it’s good to see the other nations not following the tory party line but that just leaves a muddled message for everyone when we really should be on the same page with this.The idiocy of people though knows no boundaries it seems…

21 Likes
13 Likes
13 Likes

Hmm. That might work, especially with a captive market. A neo-retro experience.

• Pay by phone/credit card, no cash.
  • Double-space the parking spots, with stay-in-cars rules enforced.
  • Pop and popcorn ordered by app/web page, and delivered to cars with carts. Drop and dash. (Scan the plates once everyone is parked, or request phone GPS?)
  • Washrooms would be a problem. (Don’t run long double features!)
  • Probably no new releases, but movies that were in theaters when lockdown happened might be available.
14 Likes

So maybe my PPE selection for recent shopping trips wasn’t excessive after all :slight_smile:

23 Likes