Ongoing coronavirus happenings

These Nurses in Belgium are protesting the Prime Minister because she signed a decree allowing hospitals to hire less trained people to help out with the more menial tasks at hospitals during a crisis. Powerful, peaceful, and well coordinated show that impressed until I read the reason for it.

4 Likes
1 Like

24 Likes

I understand them. Such a decree would be reasonable if it also significantly raised wages of already hired, experienced nurses. Knowing how little nurses earn (I’m not sure about Belgium, but at least in other countries), it is entirely possible that newly hired people will earn more than them despite lower qualifications. They will probably not find many candidates to work in a hospital for a low wage during pandemic.

4 Likes

The reasons sound reasonable:

Representatives later explained that front-line workers were disappointed in the government’s handling of the crisis, and its approach to health care in general, including issues such as budget cuts, low salaries and staff shortages. They are also unhappy about the government’s attempts to recruit unqualified staff to provide support to nursing personnel, rather than pay for trained professionals.

ETA:
Oh, and the response from the government was not exactly measured:

“Some of the hospital staff evidently wished to ruin the sympathy and admiration built up over the past few months with ridiculous actions – like children who have not had what they wanted – that reflect a politicised trade union opposition guided by the left, which has had to be silent until now but aims to exploit this crisis as much as possible,” the minister wrote in her post which, however, was no longer visible by midday.

Way to support your medical sector in a crisis. You hack.

10 Likes

owns a company that makes gravestones

That’s just a little too spot on. The writers of this stupid timeline are starting to get lazy.

13 Likes

Almost every time I’ve let the car sit for a while (i.e. at the beginning of the pandemic), the battery has died. We live in AZ, and batteries only last about 3 years here, but when a battery is on its last legs, that’ll definitely do it in.

8 Likes
  • Add to list of things not to post to Instagram.
13 Likes

Moderna’s novel mRNA approach may be paying off. Their vaccine was well-tolerated in phase 1 trial and participants showed comparable serum antibody levels to what is seen in convalescent COVID19 patients.

They expect to begin phase 3 testing in July.

Since we can’t have any good news in this timeline that is untainted by corruption, I’ll note that Moncef Slaoui stepped down from his position as Moderna CEO to become the head of the White House’s accelerated vaccine development effort. Watchdogs, including Elizabeth Warren, are urging him to divest himself of more than $10 million in Moderna stock options.

14 Likes
7 Likes

That’s a sentence that basically never ends well.

17 Likes

Radium says Hi.
Actually, it’s still here…

14 Likes
6 Likes

Tell Trump we need an invisible treatment against the invisible enemy and he’ll be all over this.

It’s a perfect fit for his internal “logic”.

4 Likes

Donnie wants the return of golf course orgies

7 Likes

Radium never dies, it just fades away… :wink:

18 Likes

Ah, the warm glow of historical mistakes :hugs:

19 Likes

I apologize in advance for my judge-y post here, but dang, the use of mixed upper and lower case lettering on this picket sign just rings my ol’ warning bells:

source:

15 Likes

He should have stayed in shcool.

13 Likes

ETA:

:musical_note: … and if you hate to go to school… :musical_note: *

9 Likes