Oof. Fox's new show Gutfeld! tells same racist joke 3 nights in a row

Conservatives are terrible at comedy because they have no joy. In fact, they are black holes that suck all of the joy out of everything else. They are eternally the old man shaking his fist at the clouds.

Which is probably why they consider Garfield to be the height of comedy (I think the logo is quite intentional and not meant as a subtle jab at Gutfeld). I mean, what’s the deal with lasagna anyway? I’m on a seafood diet; when I see food, I eat it! Abu Dhabi!

1 Like

The logo may look like the Garfield logo, but the star-shaped hole in the "d’ sure looks like Garfield’s butthole.

3 Likes
4 Likes
1 Like

Has Fox News not already asserted in court under oath that everything they do is ‘entertainment’ not ‘news’? So Fox ‘E’ News from now on.

1 Like

Obligatory Dark Garfield:

3 Likes

It’s comforting. Like how people with anxiety re-watch the same movies over and over.
Remember: these people live in a CONSTANT state of fear.

I mean. It definitely sucks, but there’s also something called a “running joke.”

1 Like

In standup? This isn’t Community or Archer we’re talking about here. And there’s a difference between a joke revisited over the course of years and a joke told three times in a row.

2 Likes

Conservative comedy is a weird thing. Rush Limbaugh was enormously popular because he was funny. We wasn’t a comedian and his jokes consisted of calling people names (Femi-Nazis, etc.), but his “insult comedy” worked for people who didn’t think it was fair to judge them for being racists, misogynists, xenophobes, etc. The problem is when you try to be comedy you raise the bar to where you actually have to be consistently funny.

On the same note, IMHO the “news” format of the Daily Show, Weekend Update, Seth Meyers, etc. lowers the humor bar a bit. You can put in a bit of outrage in exchange for a joke and it still works.

I’m curious how many conservatives watch any of the late night shows. After Jimmy Fallon tussled Donald Trump’s hair and “humanized” him, most of those shows became much more political.

To be a running joke it needs to be funny the first time, otherwise you end up a bit like Jeb Bush, begging for a laugh or applause that will never come.

4 Likes

I think its funny that Fox puts an obvious wig on the fake cnn reporter to make her a brunette. Its does mark her clearly as not from Pox News since they only allow blondes, but like every thing else in this I don’t think it was done with any self awareness

2 Likes

9 Likes

I am transgender and live in the UK where there is a campaign of hate against people like me, and I have had PTSD since 2004. The right wing have no concept of what fear is, and if they had a clue they would run far away from it.

It is all performative for them, a ritual where they get pity and attention if they perform it correctly. I do not want pity and attention, I just want to be left alone.

6 Likes

That show is so desperately unfunny it almost – almost! – makes me feel sorry for Greg Gutfield. But, he’s a Trumper and all-around scumbag, so I think I’ll just watch the trainwreck. Don’t tune in expecting to laugh.

1 Like

Also even the best running jokes have more than 24 hours of cooldown between occurrences. It’d be like Jon Stewart doing the Arby’s bit every single night for an entire week.

3 Likes

I think it is though. “Blonde is better” is part of their brand and part of the message they work hard and get paid to convey every day. I guess I’m inclined to believe most things at Fox are done exactly on purpose because they know exactly what they’re trying to sell and to whom. That may not be actually true, but it’s hard for me to imagine how it couldn’t be.

Well, sure, he was funny if you think misogyny and racism are funny, then yeah… he’s a hoot. /s

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.