Oops: A gentleman shatters glass doors as he enters a store with too much gusto

Dipshit.

“I’m so cool, I go around abusing other people’s property! Lookit meeeeeee I matter!”

Came for Nick Lowe, left satisfied.

1 Like

Wheaties!

Uh, there’s no frame. There’s a kick board at the bottom with a lock in it and the bottom hinge, then there’s the hinge at the top, then there’s the handles suspended in the glass.

Since there are no door stops in the floor, as that’s a tripping hazzard, the door stops, if any, must contact the frameless glass at the top of the door.

This feels like there were a few possible failure modes, it just happened to be an arsehole showing off to nobody. I think we’re lucky it wasn’t a mother with a pram that got stuck on the door as she tried to move to the side or something.

A guy in a very bad mood was leaving a bar in Hanoi. When he departed, he flung back the inch thick glass door as he strode through the doorway. There was a loud bang leaving a gazzilon jaggered shards littering the floor. The heavy mass was traveling with such force that it hit a floor stop and must have set up a fatal vibration. Gotta treat plate glass with caution.

1 Like

Ah, you’re right. I mistook the falling handles from a frame.

Maybe it’s a movie set, and they’re sugar doors.

1 Like
6 Likes

1 Like

Sure, but not normally when being hit with what seems like not a lot of force - I’m assuming it even hits something, I can’t see it running into anything. I expect the glass to shatter, but also that it’s been designed to withstand being flung open a bit.

I wonder if it wasn’t already damaged. I’ve seen glass that looked normal but shattered with what would have been well-below the amount of force that should have been required to break it.

1 Like

Nope. It looked brand new and was actually a pretty nice architectural-looking installation. What was surprising was that the glass was quite thick - more so than say a sliding glass door. There’s good vibrations and not so good.

2 Likes

New beer bottles almost never shatter on the first bounce. It’s the second bounce, when it’s has micro-fractures, and has used up one of its bottle-lives, that it tends to break.

If it seems to break easy, perhaps he was only the final gentleman of a series?

6 Likes

I think the design of these doors without frames, and more specifically WITH the floating handles has inherent problems. Those handles MUST by design go through the glass, so even if there is some very precise placement and reenforcement, it is not enough for a real world stress test like this. Also, I think it was the wrong choice of door in this case. There are double doors leading outside here, both of which should actually be rated as exterior doors in my opinion. This more decorative floating glass door should only be used as an interior door in an already enclosed building like a highrise, office tower, not for ground floor high traffic areas as seen here.

HOWEVER, I also wonder if this is a skit for a TV show, where a man filled with buyers remorse, takes his new foldable phone back to the retailer, complaining that his phone’s glass is already needlessly scratched! Oh, the irony!

3 Likes

I’m betting that it wasn’t direct impact as much as it was being thrown against the stop with enough force to cause the whole thing to flex (frame and all) past the breaking point of the glass.

But let’s be honest, who hits glass doors that hard? Having a bad day? Sooo jacked from your workout? Doesn’t matter.

1 Like

Don’t doors like that normally have a hydraulic (?) arm at the top to prevent them being opened too fast?

2 Likes

If it can’t be opened like a kung fu movie, its not a useful door?

:thinking:

1 Like

I love GG!! Their musicianship and creativity was too great.

Tron meets Metropolis

1 Like

I think I recognise this as the Saturn store on the Kaufinger Strasse in Munich. The guy definitely seems pissed about something, probably about a defective phone, or needing a cable, or something. He bangs the outer doors with almost as much force. And then does the typical German “not my problem” exit.

3 Likes