Origins of Trump family fortune traced to Canada brothel during Gold Rush era

Bennett Lake isn’t anywhere near the Rocky Mountains. It’s right next to the Alaska Panhandle, in the Boundary Range of the Coast Mountains.

2 Likes

I eventually figured that out. But thanks. I guess we need another book. There is one about Chicago, and another about California.

This explains the family fascination with gold decorations.

6 Likes

It’s honest work, I’ll grant you.

4 Likes

And probably treated women better too.

5 Likes

This may draw some ire, but I think I much prefer Fred to Donald.

2 Likes

Maybe, but the world would be a better place if the go-to medicine was still laudanum, instead of the current flavors of fentanyl, subuxone, heroin, etc.

Not saying the opium is particularly good for you (and back in the day they had a tendency to give it to kids a lot), but I don’t think our relationship with opioids and opiates has improved much in the past few decades. In fact, it’s gotten a lot worse. These newfangled opioids have made it a lot worse…

2 Likes

I hate to think of where the bottles of radium tonic ended up.

1 Like

No more than Ted Cruz. Trying to be stupid versions of Stephen Harper doesn’t qualify them. Our pricks tend to be cagey pricks.

3 Likes

So, trunks have been grabbing women by the pussy since the Gold Rush? And I’m supposed to feel good about that for POTUS? Nope.

I don’t feel good about that. Nope squared.

I decry sexual assault always. It ruins lives, man. Stand up and Stop it. Now.

1 Like

Trump’s enormous respect for women has deep roots

Don’t worry, we dumped all those down the well where nobody could get to them!

2 Likes

Well they say that the person who really cashes in during a gold rush, is the guy selling the picks… or the place to stick the picks…

2 Likes

I read this with considerable interest, not for Grandaddy Drumf (who appears to have been more honest than The Donald), but because I once lived and worked in Bennett, BC as a lineman in the U.S. Army. When I was there, the Arctic Hotel was long gone and the place had seven buildings and a population of about 12, all of whom worked for the White Pass & Yukon Railroad, built at the turn of the 20th century to supply the miners and haul out the ore. Before the railroad came in, Bennett was an important jumping off spot at the southern end of Lake Bennett, essentially a fresh water fjord running north for some 30 miles. From the town, you could go by water to the gold fields (even to Russia, if you were really determined) which was a great relief after spending weeks hauling over 600 pounds of supplies on your back over the mountains from Skagway–Canada would not allow you in if you lacked enough to survive on. The area around Bennett was rapidly denuded of trees to build boats (and, obviously, places of entertainment for the weary sourdoughs) as it acquired a population of some 30,000 mostly transient inhabitants.
When I was there, Bennett was lovely and quite lonely.

8 Likes

Operating an hotel is not legally pimping. Which is just as well, otherwise a very large number of hotels would be shut down. A former colleague, an economist who ended up in a sales management job, and fluent in several languages, could be quite interesting on the results of his research, conducted by buying food and drinks for ladies while they waited for clients (Richard Feynman did something similar.) At least one of his interviewees was also an economist who had done the maths and worked out when she could afford to retire as (a) an academic or (b) an upmarket prostitute…however the point is that hotels are often in practice houses of toleration, it’s just that in frontier towns it may be necessary to spell things out for the newly rich and socially ignorant.

If Trump’s hotels do not, in practice, do the same things it would be somewhat surprising. Remember, if in doubt and the customer has money, don’t ask.

6 Likes

He’s probably building something like this right now!

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.