Oscar Issac joins the Marvel cinematic universe as Moon Knight

Originally published at: Oscar Issac joins the Marvel cinematic universe as Moon Knight | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Same could be said of Guardians of the Galaxy, of course. Or even Dr. Strange. Marvel has done pretty well bringing the oddballs to the screen, small and large. I look forward to this one as well.

20 Likes

I collected Marvel trading cards in the early 90’s, and Moon Knight’s costume alone made me think he was cool af. I’m here for it.

10 Likes
17 Likes

Disney+ here we come. Moon Knight, I’ve no idea what it’s about, but I shall endeavor to seek its meaning.

5 Likes

Regardless of whether you like any of the X-Men performances/films or not, shouldn’t he technically already belong to the MCU? I mean, the X-Men were Marvel, and he was in one of their movies.

If anything, it should be called the Disney-Owned Properties of Marvel in “a” Cinematic Universe. :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

i know nothing about Moon Knight, but based on the trailer, i’m here for it. trippy fun.

8 Likes

As usual, my nerd meter pegged on this. Looking forward to it hitting the small screen, though, because I’m still not going to a theater anytime in the near (year or more) future.

10 Likes

Seth Meyers Reaction GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

17 Likes

I had nearly the entire set and completely memorized every detail of every third-string character in them. A few years ago Young Master Peas was at a garage sale with his mom and picked up a box of various comics cards including cards from the main set, the Spider-Man set, the Masterpieces set and even some Wizard magazine foil cards. Much fun.

My buddies would mockingly quiz me about details of various characters like they were flash cards. Now they drop $100 to take their kids to see the same characters in the theater (ok, $15/mo for D+). Bwahahahaha! Take that squares!

8 Likes

Here’s to hoping they tackle the DID topic in a decent way and not like Split and other films which seem to make it out to be something it’s not. Also, I’m glad to see Ethan Hawk playing around in the MCU as a bit character. It makes it wish the Spierig Brothers were attached to an R-rated MCU film now.

5 Likes

My understanding is that he’s basically “Batman with dissociative identity disorder and a sponsorship from the Egyptian moon god Khonshu.”

22 Likes

Next big hit Will be Power Pack!

6 Likes

Oh, I wish I was sponsorshiped in my wayward life.

9 Likes

Oscar Issac usually does quality projects, so it could be good. Still, I give it 8 years before Disney releases “Guy in Background of Panel 5 Page 10 of Spider-Man Issue 211: The Movie”.

10 Likes

As I’ve been telling people all my life, that’s not how you spell “Isaac.”

Even my first set of Army dog tags needed a do-over.

5 Likes

EVERY extra in Star Wars have a biography…

3 Likes

If Chris Evans could be more than one character, why can’t Oscar Isaac? Isaac wasn’t all that recognizable with all that makeup/prosthetics, anyway. :woman_shrugging:

(And thanks for reminding me how garbage that movie is. Well, really, every X-Men movie, in spite of the ridiculous amount of acting talent present, ultimately sucks. I’ll still watch the newest batch, but I’m just staring at Fassbender the whole time.)

4 Likes

I’m totally on board with the MCU taking obscure/D-list heroes and making them mainstream. It’s a win all the way - the more obscure, the less likely you are to have a lot of people going “but their powers don’t work that way!!”.

I remember buying the original Guardians long ago (it’s what the Stallone group was based on) and it was super niche. Iron Man was B-tier at best, if not C-tier, before the movies. Spider-Man and Wolverine were on everything, Deadpool as his hype cycle waxed and waned, and the FF. And of course the X-Men. That was Marvel comics.

Moon Knight has a small but likely strong following. The Loki show explored Kang (a generally annual recurring villain) and even a bit of the Living Tribunal and such. WandaVision brought in the idea of actual magic, besides Strange, and introduced a whole other magical world.

Love to see some quirky background characters get the Marvel polish. How about Amadeus Cho? Wonder Man? Squirrel Girl? Reboot Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends with Firestar and Iceman?

4 Likes

Also, it was far from enjoyable for him.

For a GQ interview:

“I couldn’t move my head,” Isaac said. “And I had to sit on a specially designed saddle, because that’s the only thing I could really sit on, and I would be rolled into a cooling tent in-between takes. And so I just wouldn’t ever talk to anybody, and I was just gonna be sitting and I couldn’t really move, and like, sweating inside the mask and the helmet. And then getting it off was the worst part, because they just had to kind of scrape it off for hours and hours. So, that was ‘X-Men: Apocalypse.'”

5 Likes