Oscar Issac joins the Marvel cinematic universe as Moon Knight

I do think Disney is missing an opportunity to use the Green Goblin, as this TikTok Dafoe impressionist demonstrates.

5 Likes

At least he didn’t have to wear 800 pounds of prosthetic muscle-suit like poor Mark Ruffalo.

8 Likes

Perhaps an unpopular opinion - but I’m really done with superhero movies and shows.

Maybe it’s because the source material is very basic/formulaic - maybe it’s simply fatigue.

If you go back and read some of this stuff you’ll see what I mean - and it starts with the very premise of X hero and their origin story.

Since all this is a license to print money I doubt things will change anytime soon.

3 Likes
13 Likes

I’ve found myself less and less interested in the blockbustersuperhero feature films. There’s only so much even the most creative writers can do in a 2-3 hour format, especially when the demands of opening weekend box-office and international sales numbers oblige them to throw in at least one 20-minute CGI-heavy battle, some cross-marketing stunt casting, and lots of service for the fanbois.

I enjoyed “Black Panther”, but mainly for the Afrofuturism and the performances. I can’t remember any of the details if the plot besides “the hero fights and eventually overcomes his enemy”.

The episodic shows spark my interest more. The financial stakes are lower and there’s more room for risk-taking and exploring character and plot.

11 Likes

I think the informal term for that arrangement is called a “Sugar Deity.”

17 Likes

They had a Squirrel Girl show in the works, that turned into an ensemble show call The New Warriors with Squirrel Girl at the center. They shot a pilot with ABC that was apparently unwatchable. It was part of the pre-Kevin Feige Owns It Disney Plus push. So it was cancelled.

They’re probably gonna do something with it at some point. Kevin Feige apparently likes him some Squirrel Girl, and the actress they cast (Milana Vayntrub) seems to still be under contract. She’s been the voice actor for the character in a handful of things.

There’s rumors of Amadeus Cho popping up. Mostly vague, but a few more of them in connection with the coming She Hulk show.

America Chavez is appearing in the next Dr. Strange, there’s an Iron Heart series on deck. Kang was introduced in Loki because he’s meant to be the villain in the next Ant Man. So he’s sticking around. Adam Warlock is showing up in the next Guardians, and they cast a guy with comic accurate eyebrows.

So they’re definitely getting into some of the less known characters and fleshing it out. Though in terms of major and announced ones they’re leaning heavily on younger and newer characters.

ETA: Oh and Eternals dropped Starfox in in the post credits. And spent some totally unrelated to the plot time setting up Black Knight.

4 Likes

That’s my boss’s name, so of course I know how to spell it correctly! Yeah, that jumped out at me too. People were constantly misspelling my deadname, mostly because it was a slight variation on a more common spelling. My name is now Eff, which means people keep trying to write it as “F.”

4 Likes

She is a favorite character in my family, so I’m glad they canceled that show instead of making something subpar. The casting didn’t really look right for the character in my mind either.

Squirrel Girl is supposed to be cute but not in a skinny supermodel kind of way. At a minimum she needs round cheeks and prominent front teeth (real or prosthetic). And if they can’t get her tail right on the screen nothing else they do will be able to save the character.

5 Likes

I’ve been saying for years Beanie Feldstein should star as USG in a straight up comedy series.

1 Like

I think you mean Eternals dropped Pip the tee_roll (and his sidekick Starfox)

4 Likes

I am really looking forward to this. Moon Knight was always an intriguing character in an interesting space among Marvel heroes. Moody, nuanced, three quarters noir with a quarter occult flavor that it would occasionally dive all the way into. Even more so than The Shadow of the 1930s.

It looks like Marvel is continuing their impressive streak of not sucking. There are always bits to critique and wish were done better, but I can’t think of any other franchise or even studio that has produced this much content with such a high level of competence and even adequate viewing.

Low expectations for the win of course. See how this one comes out…

1 Like

I’m not familiar with her work but she seems to have the right general look for the part and experience in comedy is a big plus. I’m on board.

Easily one of the most unpleasant comics I’ve ever read, and I’ve read comics of all sorts for fifty years.

So essentially you’re saying that Squirrel Girl on the screen is no more than a piece of tail.
I’m so so sorry for that but I can’t resist.

I highly recommend Booksmart

3 Likes

LOLs – Sugar-Diety —

Ya made me spray warm tea out my nose and all over the keyboard at work.

thank you! :slight_smile: love it

3 Likes

Which would be a fairly good description of Vayntrub. But as to the costume. Some photos from the pilot and camera tests made it out.

Sort of key is that this doesn’t look any better than the Actress’s home made cosplay of the character.

Vayntrub was decent casting, and there had been some fan weight behind her before hand. Think she voiced the character for a game or something before hand. It’s everything else that seems to have been poorly conceived. The bigger knock on the choice is that she’s in her 30’s. Squirrel girl has typically been shown as a teen or college student. The rest of the MCU was already moving towards introducing a younger set of characters, so I don’t quite get why they went that way.

That appears to have been the pitch on the show. Originally at least. There’s not ton of detail out but it seems like it kinda shifted to a sorta tongue in cheek teen soap. At some point some one from the production compared it to Riverdale. IIRC it had originally been announced as a 30 minute sitcom exclusively about Squirrel Girl, I saw an elevator pitch that compared it to Community.

It’s the same sort of weird that typified the Perlman TV operation. Nothing ever really fit with anything else that was going on, concepts drifted. Each Network had a totally different thing going on. And it was spread all the hell over.

That would work!

3 Likes

Personally I’m picturing someone more like Kristen Schaal. The cheeks, slight overbite, and voice really work for me. But yeah, having someone in their mid forties playing a college-age “girl” may be a bit of a stretch, especially if they want to make multiple films or streaming shows with the character in coming years.

I’m sure there are many relatively unknown actors out there who would do well in the role.

The really big fan push was behind Shannon Purser, who played Barb in Stranger things.

Which actually seems to have been part of what got the project green lit. Innernets was all “Barb for Squirrel Girl” well before it looked like Marvel was going there. And there were reports she was in the running. She very publicly pursued it.

She’s the right age, funny. And was apparently already familiar with and fond of the character.

Which made it all the weirder that they eventually cast some one in their 30’s.

Anna Kendrick also took a run at it once it was announced. Which would have been fun, she’s 36 so that may have been part of Marvel’s shift older.

ETA: for the record I think any and all of these could work depending on the project and tone they shot for. The thing with Purser is she seemed to fit really well for a close adaptation of the recent comics, as well as slotting into the current MCU. Which is absolutely not what any of these other choices or the actual show they attempted fit.