PA GOP angry at own Senator: "we did not send him there to ‘do the right thing’ or whatever"

Almost… Try “fascist” and you’d be dead on

6 Likes

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw.

Progress is not a simple path or all or none thing. Things are extremely bleak, not for the first time in history. There is a lot of reason to believe they will get worse before they get better. But paying attention to that history, it is still up to what people do to determine if they get better, by whether they give up or hold out every place they can until the next opportunity to take ground.

Because surrender is not an option for everyone. Black people will keep fighting, they have no choice. Hispanic people and Native people and LGTBQ people will keep fighting, they have no choice. Women will keep fighting, they have no choice. For anyone who does have the choice, it’s whether you want to try to help them or not…and you can decide what is more likely to succeed.

19 Likes

It’s amazing how the 30% , the knuckle draggers, make enough noise to drawn out all the rest. Perhaps we need a much larger proverbial megaphone. Don’t let the minority party suck all of the oxygen.

They are indeed the minority and don’t let them forget it.

14 Likes

The Republican Party is now indistinguishable from Stalinism or the worst of Mao’s fanatics.

“The Parry is always right by virtue of being the Party. There is no room for dissension”.

I am surprised the Trumpists aren’t required to carry “The Art of the Deal” at all time to show their loyalty.

When fealty to a party is determined by your fealty to one man, you’re just a slight bit shy of “One State, One People, One Leader”.

We skirted the edge of a serious coup and bloodbath only because most of the Trumpists are nut cases. You don’t invite people like the "Q Anon “shaman” to the party if you expect to be serious and next time, the darker forces, the ones seen wearing identical tac gear and clearly following orders, in there may have learned this lesson.

That and the bravery of overwhelmed police who never expected nor where trained or backed to handle insurrection but who, dammit, held, Held when their calls for assistance went unheard while the President capered on his dung heap reveling in the mob’s adoration. The fool was willing to let his alleged friend the VP be hanged if it pleased the mob so long as they continued to worship at the Trump Shrine.

I need to spit.

14 Likes

Closer to nazis, actually.

Jada Pinkett Smith Point GIF by Red Table Talk

18 Likes

I was born and raised in Washington County, PA. It was the most corrupt government (all three branches) I’ve ever seen anywhere.

8 Likes

Something power, something corruption… Unless we develop perfect, infallible humans, the temptation to corruption from those in power will always be there. The key is that we need to be alert to it and call it out. That said, I grew up just south of there in WV and agree, it can get really bad.

9 Likes

Also, the stakes of the US going full fascist will be far worse for the rest of the world (being an already imperialist country). Any government going fascist should be fought against, and the US supporting such governments should be not tolerated (and is in many ways a major part of the problem here). But what the Trump wing of the GOP is trying to do is not a fait accompli, and we should continue the struggle against it.

This! How the current coalition of the hard right of the GOP emerged in the first place was just this kind of grassroots work since the 80s and 90s.

16 Likes

I was in Chesco and Delco, where corruption, nepotism, and coercion were pretty bad, too. Since the '90s, they’ve slowly but surely turned from deep red to light red with strong pockets of purple and blue. Now for the first time since the Civil War, the Dems are in control. So, I’ve seen change and I’m working to see much more of the same. Hopefully, the folks in your area will become as fed up with the status quo as they did here, and replace the people in power.

12 Likes

The term is Pennsyltucky.

3 Likes

Yet again… more solid proof that you can be an imbecile and still make it in politics.

3 Likes

Between this and the Death Star/Kraken stuff they’re basically self-branding as the Evil Party

13 Likes

So basically

14 Likes

Tell me about it :slight_smile: Been trying to get back to the US for years, but still can’t find a way and I never win the visa lottery. I’ve said it before: We need a system where people can swap citizenship! (anyone wanna move to Denmark? :stuck_out_tongue: ).

2 Likes

US expat living in Germany, the USA you want to get back to doesn’t really exist any more. You’re better off in Europe, or YUROP as one of my fave subreddits calls it.

Then again, I’m down in southern Germany, in Munich. Life here is different than amongst the Danes.

5 Likes

I am from the UK and therefore not fully briefed but the whole Republican strategy of ‘Bet the farm on the guy who lost it for us last time round.’ doesn’t seem to be well thought out…

6 Likes

That is what my friends are telling me, however the people are still the same, at least the leftie friends I made. I live for engaging conversations and the best ones I had was with americans (think my soul was swapped at birth, somewhere in the US there’s a poor soul pining for cheese, pickled herring and bland politics). Also I believe, probably wrongly, that the global awakening will start in the US. In DK everything is so amenable, no room for radical change. However, in the US, there’s an openess to change, a willingness to entertain the idea that things can be done differently and better…
I’m probably wrong, but if the revolution won’t start in the US, then were?

I think you hit upon an important facet: for a revolution, trust in the old system has to deteriorate so much that evolution is no longer considered viable, but only painful, painful revolution. Europe had its share of painful revolutions, ones that led to horrible wars, so the stomach for revolution versus evolution is pretty weak.

Another thing that sours me personally on revolutions is stuff like the PA GOP here, who themselves are hoping for a revolution. Only in their case, they are expecting that they will come out on top as local warlords. That’s why they really are angry at their senator, for not being as nihilistic as they are, not as loyal to destroying everything if they can’t get their way.

9 Likes

(Raises hand)

10 Likes

As an American with kids, I sure as hell hope it won’t. Steady progress is not only better for those undergoing the change, but it’s historically shown to last longer than revolutionary change.

16 Likes