Paired pushbuttons notify partners about desire to have sex

Gee, how fucking “romantic…”

5 Likes
New button who dis?
11 Likes

My wife would have one of those elevator close door buttons which don’t actually do anything.

“Turn your key. TURN YOUR KEY, SIR!”

6 Likes

I imagine a couple watching tv in the living room together. Suddenly one runs to the bedroom and the other yells “Don’t dare to press the button!” These shouldn’t be stationary.

2 Likes

Great post, but I cannot come with any other example beyond sex. Your example: “is this seat being taken” would not be a practical use for this button, I think. Can anyone find another use case than sex for this button?

Cheezburger, and the requesting there of.

Speaking of, don’t mix this up with an Amazon Button!?!

3 Likes

“I’m hungry.”

1 Like

And you need an agreement with someone in a given time frame when you are hungry?

Specifically, the system removes the cost associated with refusing. The question was about that cost.

1 Like

One could always eat out.

2 Likes
4 Likes

12 Likes

this sounds like an episode of the big bang theory

Other options…

A button won’t fix the gaping wound in your marriage.

8 Likes

For that you need a zipper.

8 Likes

When you say zipper, I hear expensive accessories and copious amounts of booze, but I might be jaded.

6 Likes

That wounds like a solid plan to me.

6 Likes

I’m not remotely optimistic about the practicality of this scheme(even for the sex case I wouldn’t bet on it being non clunky; and I’m not sure that widespread application between unrelated parties would be viable even in principle) and should have emphasized that more.

However, I was moved to respond by the fact that objections seemed to be skewed heavily toward the “that’s deeply creepy and/or unutterably pathetic” rather than the “not so optimistic about the implementation working out without turning into IoT shit.”

That struck me both as wrong, in that I’d argue that the existence of a mechanism that preserves the data transfer value of questions while stripping them of their implications would be quite handy in a great many cases; and as a frankly rather cold dissmissal of anyone who doesn’t find a grasp of subtle affective cues verging on telepathy as creepy and pathetic.

This does not mean that I’m expecting it to work in practice, certainly not in broad application; but the mechanism struck me as something one would normally find in the context of a thought experiment: being possible to implement is optional; but the operation must be simple enough to not bog down the exercise while allowing the subject to be examined more effectively.

“Suppose a separation of the data transfer and social implication functions of questions by a button that can be pressed to indicate inquiry but silently discards input except in cases of mutual inquiry” sort of thing.

1 Like

“Honey, why are there 12 pallets of Tide on our porch?”

8 Likes