Papa Johns Pizza, the breakfast of Nazis

You get what you pay for. Via Tribunali on North Fremont in Seattle is my favorite, but Papa Murphy’s ‘take and bake’ pizza is excellent if you get your oven settings right.

“They’re all over the bloody planet:”

So are cockroaches.

2 Likes

Agreed, Papa Murphy’s is pretty great, though I personally find their crust to be on the bland side. For eat-out places, I’ve become quite a fan of Mod Pizza as well. Mod also has a really good, not-crazy-expensive gluten-free crust, which is important since we figured out that my wife has a wheat allergy. It’s amazing how severely a gluten-free requirement hampers pizza availability.

1 Like

Not a huge fan of Papa Murphy’s but i do appreciate that it’s take and bake.

My basic rule for pizza places is to never eat anything from a franchise or chain. That works pretty well for most food, actually.

There’s a place in Coober Pedy that does a fantastic Capricciosa, although it’s hard to tell how much of that is just the desert messing with your head. Everything is a bit intense out there.

2 Likes

Mr. I was known in these parts as truly stand-up guy. He was nearly the polar opposite of the jackass that started Domino’s.

4 Likes

I think I might’ve eaten at that pizza place in Coober Pedy.

I did enjoy Hell Pizza when I was in NZ. Especially their pizza boxes that fold up into cardboard coffins.

3 Likes

I’d also add that NFL games just aren’t that fun to watch anymore, with the constant interruptions of play. Kickoff, five minutes of commercials, three-and-out, more ads, long drive, TV timeout when the ball crosses the 50, touchdown, commercials, extra point, commercials, kick, commercials, player injured in long drive (more ads), and on and on. There’s 60 minutes on the game clock, and 3+ hours on the wall clock. EDIT: it doesn’t help that the Bears have been a clusterf*ck for a long time.

I’ve never eaten Papa John’s pizza so I can’t judge its quality, but I’m not keen on buying food from a company that actively tries to prevent its employees from staying healthy.

Excuse me if this sounds stupid but I thought that was the point of American Football. Take a game of rugby/gaelic football that should last 80 minutes or so and stretch it out over the whole day.

I mean if you want an all day game to not-watch while you chat to your friends and eat and drink a lot, that’s what cricket is for. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They also have better theme music.

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s even as good as Domino’s or Pizza Hut (never had Papa Gino’s). PJ seems to use an inordinate amount of sugar and/or some other added sweetener in their pizza (EDIT: as @Grey_Devil suggested earlier).

Wait, what happened?

Well, sure, it’s from Memphis.

After consistently getting ranked as the worst delivery pizza, Dominos started a new marketing campaign that was literally “yeah, we know, we suck, sorry,” and retooled all of their pizzas, relaunching their whole pizza line with a “we used to suck, but now we don’t,” campaign. And surprisingly they stopped sucking. I hardly ever eat pizza of any kind these days (sadly, darn those carbs) but I honestly prefer their pizza to any of the crappy family-run delivery spots around here.

6 Likes

Just wondering when that was. Until 2 years ago or so I hadn’t eaten from Domino’s in many years.

I like our local places, but we’re near a university so they have a large market, lots of competition.

1 Like

The campaign launched in 2010, they’ve been tweaking the pizza since.

2 Likes

I kind of recall the old Domino’s pizza and it was definitely not good. Though the fact that i can’t really remember how bad it was speaks as to how successful they’ve been at improving their product.

Papa Johns on the other hand would rather blame black athletes than do anything constructive.

3 Likes

Costco pizza is okay.

Oddly enough, I’ve found that Sam’s Club has decent same-day freshly-made frozen pizzas-- way better than Red Baron and almost on par with Screamin’ Sicilian IMO.

But the Sam’s Club crust does taste slightly like pretzel dough to me. The crust is definitely all-important. You can always supplement your own fresh toppings later.

The only Papa John’s takeout I could tolerate was Hawaiian. Their crust had an aftertaste if you tried to eat it later. (Perhaps that was due to the unusual comings-and-goings of some people to the shop … a story for another time).

EDIT TO ADD:
Papa Johns: “The aftertaste to fascism?”

4 Likes

Are there any secret tunnels under Papa John’s? /s

4 Likes

Well, next time I get a chain pizza, I know where I’m going.

4 Likes

Has Little Caesars improved in the last few years, or are they still kinda awful?

I worked for a few years in high school at a Kmart with a Little Caesars inside, and I grew to really detest that stuff. But it was so cheap!!

2 Likes

Hell used to be wonderful, and is still pretty ok, but over the last couple of years their toppings are becoming … less than inspiring. They are also REALLY heavy with the MSG. I get headaches and a feeling of being dehydrated after one of theirs now.

The coffin boxes are super cute though.

Heaven is my pizzeria of choice. It’s sort-of a chain, but just barely. They also serve beer, something Hell is sadly remiss about.

(edit: maybe they aren’t a chain? I could’ve sworn there was at least one other in … Waikanae?)

2 Likes