Papa Roach plays Shakey's Pizzaria in celebration of their new album

Originally published at: Papa Roach plays Shakey's Pizzaria in celebration of their new album | Boing Boing

3 Likes

[reads headline] “Papa Roach is still around?”
[reads further] “Shakey’s Pizza is still around?”

13 Likes

Shakey’s Pizzaria

Pizza in name only…

7 Likes

Hey, it’s in the name, not the restaurant.

5 Likes

Has anyone here eaten at Shakey’s? We had one in Wichita, but it wasn’t too popular once Godfather’s came along. Or even when Pizza Hut was decent pizza.

9 Likes

Central Wisconsin had Shakey’s. Had their pizza a couple times as a wee kid. Then a Happy Joe’s opened - bad pizza, great atmosphere for little kids and ice cream!

8 Likes

No Pizza for you.

4 Likes

I think the last time I ate at a Shakey’s was in the 80s? And if I’m honest, that was probably also the first time I ate at a Shakey’s. They had one in my hometown (coincidentally not Wichita but Wichita Falls), but we never ate out a lot when I was a kid, and at the time, I was such a picky eater, I wouldn’t eat pizza because I didn’t like cheese.

4 Likes

LOL, my brother would scrape off all vestiges of tomato sauce.

4 Likes

This is weird, but I just googled to make sure there really was a Shakey’s in Wichita Falls when I was a kid, and came across a Facebook page for Wichita Falls, Texas History…and the page’s profile pic is currently an old picture of the old Shakey’s pizza. Freaky.

4 Likes

We had a couple in southeastern Wisconsin as a kid. I used to love that place. Can’t remember the pizza at all, but they had Pole Position, Karate Champ, and Double Dragon, so I was always happy to go. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

In the 1980s when I was a teenager. My geeky HS friends and I once tried (and of course failed) to pick up girls at the long-gone one on Santa Monica Blvd. on a Saturday night.

As I recall the chain was as much about their fried chicken as it was about their pizza. I also recall neither dish was very good.

6 Likes

I would go to the original Shakey’s in Sacramento many days during the summer. In grade school teachers gave out free personal pizza coupons for doing good work, I would save them up and then in the summer had easy lunches when I was out riding my bike from arcade to arcade dropping quarters on pinball, Rampage and Street Fighter

11 Likes

Ah, that jogs a memory! Ours had Asteroids and Space Invaders. I might be older than you by a couple years. :thinking:

6 Likes

Could be? I dunno, those games were just the “most recent” ones I can remember. Felt like we went to Shakey’s a lot as a kid for birthdays and such… shrug I just work here.

2 Likes

You lived to tell the tail.

2 Likes

Would you believe that Shakey’s is actually a thing in Japan?

They only have about a dozen or so locations, but I have been to a couple because it is the closest to American-style pizza that one can find in Japan.

Here’s their site, which is partially in English.

5 Likes

In the early 70s with my family. It was a pretty inexpensive place for a family of seven, so my parents would take us there for pizza, chicken and mojo potatoes. I feel like there was an all-you-can-eat deal? My dad thought he was being clever.

5 Likes

70s Shakey’s in Texas where i grew up. don’t recall any potatoes or chicken, just pizza.
my dad played ragtime tunes on banjo on friday nights and dear brother and i would nom on free pizza til we were passed out in a corner booth.
way before arcade video games… until Pong came along.

5 Likes

“Cut my life into pizzas, this is my last full course. Mastication, no breathing, don’t give a fuck if I burn my mouth eating.”

5 Likes