Pat Robertson's prophecy: Trump wins, civil unrest, world war, and an asteroid strike to end it all

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/21/pat-robertsons-prophecy-trump-wins-civil-unrest-world-war-and-an-asteroid-strike-to-end-it-all.html

8 Likes

Can his tax exempt status get yanked yet? This is open electioneering.

OTOH, TIL Pat Robertson still isn’t dead. Amazing, on so many levels.

43 Likes

The syphilis he picked up when he tested out hookers for the officers during the Korean War must be a very special strain.

16 Likes

We can’t be sure until Herman Cain confirms it.

25 Likes

Doesn’t he ever get tired of being wrong?

27 Likes

True Man of God, this guy. Totally not a grifter.

[eww.]

23 Likes

This story really laid bare for me some of the rationale for Evangelical support of Trump. I don’t think they see him as a savior; I think they see him as an opportunity to bring about Revelation. It’s like people trying to breed a red heifer so they can create the Third Temple.

28 Likes

Reminder that this is what the Bible has to say about fortune-tellers and psychics:

“A man or a woman who is a medium or a necromancer shall surely be put to death. They shall be stoned with stones; their blood shall be upon them.“ —Leviticus 20:6

“And I will cut off sorceries from your hand, and you shall have no more tellers of fortunes” —Micah 5:12

“But the prophet who presumes to speak a word in my name that I have not commanded him to speak, or who speaks in the name of other gods, that same prophet shall die.’ And if you say in your heart, ‘How may we know the word that the Lord has not spoken?’— when a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the word does not come to pass or come true, that is a word that the Lord has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously. You need not be afraid of him.” —Deuteronomy 18:10-12

You’ve got it straight from God, folks. If Biden is elected then it is our Biblical duty to kill Pat Robertson.

45 Likes

The LaVista Church of Christ has your back:

http://lavistachurchofchrist.org/LVarticles/PatRobertsonsFailedPredictions.html

13 Likes

See this is the sort of prophecy I like. There is clear and near proof/debunking. If Trump looses, then it’s false. it is a little harder to disprove if Trump does win of course, a few more years.

It would be more so if the prediction was that Trump looses, right? I would be DISINCENTED to vote for Trump based on this.

5 Likes

The religious obsession with eschatology escapes me. As does the TV and movie fondness for an apocalypse. I guess down deep, people want to live in challenging times.

But isn’t living through a literal, actually happening viral pandemic enough to slake their thirst?

13 Likes

Just two?

Come on Pat get real.

7 Likes

Is that him admitting that Trump will try to rig the election? Because that isn’t a prediction, that’s just telling us what we already know.

12 Likes

Oh yes. There are a lot of millennialist cultists who look forward to it. That’s what their entire Israel obsession is about - they treat it as a bucket list entry that needs completing before they win. Er, god wins, you know.

Robertson here appears to make a common old-man mistake - mistaking his impending doom for the world’s.

12 Likes

I think part of it can be attributed to “If the apocalypse is coming soon then I don’t have to feel bad about how my greed and inaction will contribute to social, economic and environmental problems for generations to come.”

Heck, if Robertson is right we might not even need to floss anymore.

25 Likes

I think that the difference might be, “The Apocalypse happens to other people; but the Pandemic affects ME!!! And trying to force me to wear a mask and care for others is COMMUNISM!!!”

Edit: although @Brainspore’s idea seems pretty sound too.

14 Likes

Makes sense when you think about it. The Devil is surely in no hurry to take custody.

God: Did you email Death that it’s time to reap Pat Robertson?

Satan: Um, I’ll get right on that…first thing next week.

18 Likes

It pleases me to hear him tell his minions this, because then they might be complacent and not vote-- he’s going to win anyway.

6 Likes

I dunno…

We elected Trump and we got massive civil unrest, hurricanes, fires, economic collapse, and even a global pandemic. Looks pretty much like a damned if you do, damned if you don’t scenario here…

Perhaps God was really telling us that the problem is Pat Robertson. I think the best solution would be to eliminate him and see if it clears up - just in case.

5 Likes

Somehow hearing these predictions from Criswell, sorry, Robertson is somewhat comforting, given his track record.

2 Likes