Pat Robertson's prophecy: Trump wins, civil unrest, world war, and an asteroid strike to end it all

5 Likes

That’s easy- because they want to. It confirms things they want to believe about the world. Confirmation Bias is the default mode of human thinking. We all do it to some degree because it takes effort not to do it. It can be a very very powerful cognitive trap, especially if the thing you want to believe is out of step with the world. Religion can be a crutch to prevent cognitive dissonance and hang on to the way you wish the things worked.

4 Likes

Anarchist (an actual, real one) Leon Czolgosz, who shot president William McKinley in 1901, probably counts.

4 Likes

And a lot of anarchists at the time believed he harmed the movement. It was the same in France with the Bonnot Gang.

I love the caricature though, I always wonder if that’s where the idea for the Ant Hill Mob came from.

3 Likes

Wait, I’m confused. Who’s the dude that said, “blow it way” or “blow covid-19, gone” or something like that. All I remember about the “blow” guy is his beady little eyes, wide open and glistening with hellfire plastered atop a face-splitting grin with too many teeth. I thought it was this Robinson guy all this time. :fearful:

I did a Google search. Instant regret. My YouTube feed, through the omniscience of Google, has thrown what feels like. Every. Single. Video. Of old, white dudes with suspiciously orange-tinted tans frothing at the mouth abt “sins”, unGodly/idol worship, denouncing this, that and Biden’s “faithlessness”, and OMFG I am NEVER looking up anything to do with televangelists ever again. WTF.

I just realized televangelists are actually a thing abt 3 yrs ago. I thought it was a Hollywood creation all this time.

FWIW I’m from a devout Theravada Buddhist culture, society and family.

Fun fact: This is the year 2564* BE or Buddhist Era. And New Years usually falls on the 2nd week in April of the Western solar calendar.

2563 BE if you’re following Thailand’s “standardized” lunisolar calendar. It claims Prince Siddhartha (better known as the Gautama Buddha aka the OG Buddha) achieved immaterial enlightenment 563 years before Jesus Christ was born.

1 Like

If it makes you feel any better, a lot (hopefully most) Christians react to televangelists with similar dismay, disbelief and disgust. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I guess consider yourself very fortunate, if not sheltered, that you had’t been exposed to these charlatans until fairly recently. They’ve been a blight on the US far longer than I’ve been alive.

It’s the year 5780 on the Jewish calendar. Since we’re talking about Xtian grifters, that seems marginally more relevant than a Buddhist calendar.

4 Likes

Is orange good enough?

4 Likes

It was Kenneth Copeland. Unfortunately the video has disappeared.

P.S.

2 Likes

Not that fortunate, unfortunately. Buddhism has its own charlatans and assholes. Buddhist monks are involved with the Muslim Rohingya genocide happening now. There’s also some dude in SE Asia who claims to be “the 2nd coming of the Buddha”. Hilarious because Buddha didn’t technically die and there’s 0 reasons for him to come back when the entire religion is quite literally a “how-to” manual on discarding the material world. The fake is still making US millions.

As for relevancy I don’t know much about Abrahamic (I’m used to hearing them referred to as “Western” but Islam and Judaism have never fit that) faiths except they all share one God. And even that I googled just to make sure I understood it correctly. That’s crazy awesome longevity considering everything it and it’s faithful has been put through. Is still being put through, actually.

5 Likes

The penalty for prophesying falsely is death. If Two Scoops loses or there isn’t a war with China, then we need to get Biblical on his ass. I will supply the stones.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.