Patriots head coach Bill Belichick declines Presidential Medal of Freedom

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/12/patriots-head-coach-bill-belichick-declines-presidential-medal-of-freedom.html

9 Likes

Yeah, the way Biff and his cronies have been throwing around the word “patriots” in the past week, I don’t blame Belichick (and Robert Kraft) for not wanting to associate the team name with fascists.

31 Likes

Good for him, both for refusing and for his well-worded statement explaining why.

28 Likes

Just for that act alone, he deserves a Medal of Freedom from President Biden.

15 Likes

that medal has been so sullied lately that it’s meaningless, anyway. i hope president biden puts and end to it and comes up with a new one that carries more weight, and THEN gives it to him.

19 Likes

I have hated the Patriots for as long as I can remember, and Belichick specifically. But with this, he has redeemed a bit of respect from me, at least.

18 Likes

Agreed. He’s been near the top of my deplorables list since 2/3/2002. I never expected anything redeeming to come from him, but it feels good to see this.

12 Likes

Belichik supported trump for the previous 4 years. If we’re giving freedom medals to people for having a moral standard somewhere between kidnapping children and locking them in cages and open insurrection, we might be in serious trouble. Fuck Belichick and the rest of the rats jumping ship now

25 Likes

Wouldn’t want the name Belichick to be associated with more than just cheating, would we? :wink:

11 Likes

Fair enough. That is a more than reasonable argument against my position.

14 Likes

11th-doc-this|nullxnull

13 Likes

'Recently, I was offered the opportunity to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom, which I was flattered by out of respect for what the honor represents and admiration for prior recipients. ’

Given that Rush Limbaugh, Devin Nunes and Jim Jordan are just three of the most recent recipients; a hasty bit of rebranding for the medal is desperately needed.

11 Likes

Say what you will about his previous support of Trump, but we need more prominent Republicans to just come right out and denounce the Cheeto in Charge.

Trump supporters need to know they are in the minority, and they don’t care what anyone on the left thinks. They need to hear it from their own side.

The GOP really just needs to split in two. Or even three.

12 Likes

Did anyone else catch the use of passive voice here: “the decision has been made not to move forward with the award”? Belichick doesn’t even own the decision himself. Considering that he goes on to acknowledge that he represents his family and the Patriots, one has to wonder how much of this was Belichick’s own choice as opposed to caving in from pressure from others.

11 Likes

Fuck Belichick and the rest of the rats jumping ship now

Racism? You were ok with it.
Homophobia and transphobia? You were fine with it
Child separation and FORCED BIRTH? You were just dandy.
Refusal to vote on a justice you didn’t like? That’s cool.
Ramming through one you DID 8 days before an election? Awesome.
Downplaying a deadly disease because… maybe economics that turned out to be wrong and you just made it all worse? That’s fine too.

So, let’s see, you don’t care about human rights that aren’t yours, about democratic rules, institutions, or procedures when they’re not convenient for you, and you don’t care about any human LIFE that isn’t your own, either.

But something so shocking it actually dents public opinion? THAT you can’t stomach. Congratulations on being able to read the room when it has a giant, sparking, neon sign in it, and is also on fire.

9 Likes

I still think he’s an asshole, but at least he has some scruples.

The scruples to flee the kind of criminal activity that can actually get him thrown in jail… It’s pure self-preservation at this point.

6 Likes

Yes, and I was immediately enraged. My first thought was that Kraft made the decision for him.

5 Likes

The news is full of negative press for Sorenstam and Player. Player’s own son has condemned his father for taking the award.

(The Kraft’s and) Belichek would have loved posing with this award given to them for simply supporting the racist president, but instead they are needing to avoid the negative press.

I wonder if this is going to cause belichek to make new travel plans this off season?

1 Like