Pearl-clutching Pro-Trumpers file a complaint about a thing that didn't happen

I really want to see a cut of just the torch bearing and performances. No boats. No commercials. No commentators.

13 Likes

15 Likes

But those moments offer chances to grab a “Bud” or to decant later following the aforementioned. :beer: :relieved:

4 Likes

buzz-woody idiots

17 Likes

10 Likes

They contend that the “obscene/indecent content” in the broadcast violated US law. Whether or not that is true, the fact that the ceremony took place in France does not absolve NBC of responsibility for what it showed to viewers in the US.

2 Likes

# Super Bowl XXXVIII halftime show controversy: Janet Jackson’s “wardrobe malfunction”.

(excerpt) The halftime [Super Bowl XXXVIII] show was produced by MTV and was focused on the network’s Choose or Lose campaign (the year 2004 was a presidential election year in the United States). The exposure was broadcast to a total audience of 150 million viewers… The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) fined CBS for an indecency violation of $27,500 and increased it to $325,000. They eventually fined CBS a record $550,000 for the incident, but that fine was ultimately voided by the Third Circuit Court of Appeals in 2011, and a case to reinstate the fine was refused in 2012.

Bottom Line: The 3rd CCA did not find CBS to be liable for a (live on camera) incident they did not create.

20 Likes

“Pearl clutching Pro-Trumpers file a complaint about a thing that didn’t happen”
“It’s not a real target, and you’ve put it there yourself.”

40 Likes

I mean, let’s be glad they’re wasting their efforts on defending the Greek god of wine and revelry. Otherwise, they’d be focusing on their other popular Christian work, like trying to keep schoolkids from eating lunch, burning down libraries, or telling trans kids and pregnant women to kill themselves.

16 Likes

Oh no, may as well cancel the Olympics, Rob Schneider is boycotting them.

16 Likes

I’m not aware of that law or regulation. Perhaps a citation?

11 Likes
5 Likes

It’s quasi-catholic - sex is ONLY for procreation; in all other cases it is a sin.

But the US generally has always been a prudish society. It loses its shit over an accidental nipple in a half-time show in a sportsball broadcast but happily allows the most egregious violence to be broadcast to all (inc. kids) without blinking an eye.

The extreme prudes believe everyone else is an evil liberal if they are an iota less prudish and it is a badge of honour to find every excuse to parade their extreme prudishness.

Fuck them.

ETA I did not know @hecep had posted about that wardrobe malfunction when I posted the above. Some Coke, perhaps.

11 Likes

Greek Gods. Pagan? Hmmm. Well, to the Xtian fuckwits, perhaps, I guess.

The torch-bearing went on for hours, intermittently. As did the performances. Scrub through the video, perhaps?

4 Likes

I watched the opening ceremony and when Gojira came on to play a heavy metal cover of a song from the French Revolution with a bunch of decapitated noble-women, I was certain that was going to cause a kerfuffle. Then came the drag queens.

Seriously, what’s wrong with these people. It was a single shot and a short musical number in a show that was four hours long (or as my kids remarked: that Seine is one lengthy river).

18 Likes

I was highly amused by this in part because the early Christians specifically ripped off a fair amount of Dionysus iconography - if Christians are upset about the similarities in imagery, they only have themselves to blame.

19 Likes

They were offended by Bacchus in the opening ceremony? Wait till they get an eyeful of Priapus’s tower in the closing ceremony.

20 Likes

to be honest, the whole thing took so long, at one point I thought they did go on strike halfway through.

4 Likes

Start?

8 Likes

As an Irish friend would say, “Agnus!”

3 Likes