Pelosi warns Trump: resign "immediately" or House will impeach you

tenor

14 Likes

I believe that those who refuse to convict care about what they can have while alive and breathing. The future, the history books, the rest of the world be damned.

That status can be adjusted.

6 Likes

I hope they assign him only Black SS agents. M---------r Trump would have no choice.

1 Like

À la lanterne! Cord optional.

5 Likes

There’s little precedent on this.

Given the option of disqualifying the impeached official from future federal officeholding, there’s no reason to believe that an after-term-expires conviction vote would be moot.

There’s also some suggestions that I’ve seen that the disqualification threshold is only a simple majority vote, but I don’t think that vote could be held without the conviction vote carrying 2/3rds majority first. Otherwise the system doesn’t make sense and could be weaponized against any first-term prez running for a second term.

4 Likes

"Dear Mr. President

Surely you’ve learned your lesson this time. I am SO disappointed in your behavior.

Love,
Susan"

12 Likes

Nah, they deserve better than that. Not only would 45 like the optics, but he’s got anti-mask friends. Who would want to work around that?

9 Likes

It is traditional to tie fascists up by their ankles.

Thankfully in our modern era we have a more civilized tool: the ballot box. As satisfying as it may be to actually murder your political opponents, it is not good for the health of the country. It’s is much better to use elections to curb bad behavior.

4 Likes

I certainly get your point. My intent: Payback for this:
“Black Guys Counting My Money! I Hate It.” - Donald Trump (factpac.org)

2 Likes

I understand that zip ties are now the fashion.

4 Likes

Again… and @Melizmatic, jinx.

16 Likes

He did that on “Last Week Tonight”, claimed he had refused to be interviewed, which confused Jon Oliver, partly because it’s not mainly an interview show.

8 Likes

Would an impeached President still receive taxpayer funded perks, such as protection by the Secret Service and so forth?

1 Like

I’d like to know if a President jailed for state tax fraud charges continues to get secret service protection… :thinking:

1 Like

Oh for fuck’s sake, do it, stop making threats you have zero intention of backing up and you know are pointless. Action speaks WAY louder than words, Speaker Pelosi. So so soooooo sick of the rhetoric that’s never backed up by appropriate legal action.

9 Likes

impeachment means he’d lose a lot of those post-Presidency benefits. That said, I doubt Congress can get in gear fast enough to make an impeachment happen.

We’re down to talking to generals to help keep him from launching nukes against Iran. The Doomsday Clock is the closest we’ve ever been. Closer than the Cuban Missile Crisis.

I certainly think that he deserves removal by any means necessary but I don’t think he is going to get impeached a second time. For a few reasons.

Congress gave themselves vacation until essentially the 21st. They had planned to do votes on the 7/8th, but they canceled those because the capital building is still in ruin. The speaker can call a special session, but if less than half the house actually shows up they can’t meet. Perfect place for shenanigans there.

There are some in congress that worry that this is the perfect fuel for his conspiracy theories. Something that he can point to and say “Look proof that the deep state is after me”

Ultimately, impeachment is isn’t going to do anything. If he’s impeached tomorrow, it’s be sent to the senate where they will ignore things for a week or so. They have twenty days to respond and there is less than twenty in his term.

At this point the best chance for him not serving his full term is the last adult in the room convincing him that the only way he doesn’t face prosecution is for him to resign and Pence to pardon him. I kinda hope he tries the ‘pardon himself’ bullshit so there is a chance for him to go to federal prison.

2 Likes

Progressives lecturing Republicans about Trump:

6d2ad0b6eaed8362549f3af4e95cf497

17 Likes
7 Likes