Pence laywers up

Exactly. But you failed to spot the obvious typo in the original quote “underscoresmines”

ETA

Well it always pisses me off that the ‘literary’ world seems to think science fiction and fantasy is one genre. I read a lot of the former but avoid most of the latter. Can “supernatural horror” be classified as a sub-genre of fantasy?

3 Likes

Science fiction, fantasy, horror, etc. are all a part of a broad “speculative fiction” category, but science fantasy is already a genre so there shouldn’t be people claiming science fiction is part of the fantasy genre.

I’m by no means an expert, but these genre arguments come up between GMs all the time…

1 Like

I thought you only need a lawyer when you have something to hide?

1 Like

It is odd how guilty pleading the 5th makes people look too :wink: Streisand in full effect.

I just feel like someone kept saying this on the campaign trail last year. I don’t quite recall who…just seems so familiar.

2 Likes

Welcome to Nixon 2.0.

I’ll start by saying that taxonomy causes wars… but nevertheless…

I don’t recall seeing SF classed as part of (subset of) the fantasy genre - but I do often see “SF and fantasy” as a single genre, when to my mind it is two different things. E.g. my Sunday paper has a literary review section with a periodic “SF” releases review, and half of the books it reviews there are fantasy (witches, wizards, magic, etc. - other fantasy ‘worlds’ with nothing SF-ish about them at all). Hadn’t seen science fantasy as a separate genre yet, so I guess I may need to get out more.

(GM?)

Oh, come on. The guy can either do his supposed job or he can deal with all the stuff that’s going to be thrown at him because of this. He ain’t got time to do both. I despise that little ayatollah wannabe and pray for him to fall down a well, but even I know that hiring a lawyer in this case is nothing more than hiring a secretary who knows law.

I would say that personal loyalty to Trump is the first qualification that matters to trump, and appearance is a distant second. After that, he has no interest in actual competence.

3 Likes

No, Drumpf wants subordinates who are manifestly unqualified because that keeps them from being a threat to him. Perfect logic for the Byzantine empire, circa 900 AD. Exactly the kind of personnel management you’d expect from a would-be dictator.

1 Like

Oh Mike Pence. I would wonder why you got yourself involved in this idiocy all to be impeached right along with Trump and never get to take the chair.

But then I remember. You are completely and ruthlessly stupid.

5 Likes

Well they are connected in that they are both speculative fiction which is a massively broad definition that includes other genres too.

GM = Games Master, a term from pen and paper games.

“There’s two people I think Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump. Swear to God,” - House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy

"This is an off the record . . . No leaks! . . . All right? This is how we know we’re a real family here.” -
Paul Ryan, Speaker of the United States House of Representatives

“That’s how you know that we’re tight,” - Steve Scalise, House Majority Whip

“What’s said in the family stays in the family,” Ryan again

1 Like

Well I’m a bit old school. “Speculative fiction” is tautology. (A bit like “true facts”) :wink:

But, more seriously, I get that Speculative Fiction has become a wider catch-all to lump several genres and sub-genres together, to make it easier to avoid taxonomy wars / confusion (for some). Genres some of which I read avidly and some of which I would not read one word of. Hence my dislike.

Not sure what games have to do with it, either, as someone with almost zero interest in such. Literary reviewers, publishers, librarians, and so on, have stakes in it (the taxonomy); not sure games masters’ (in my day a games master was a sweaty teacher with a faded tracksuit, plimsolls and a whistle) views on taxonomy are going to be top of my list of authorities :wink:

(And I hope nothing above is taken as provocation - just a little bit of gentle musing aside. We’re probably going to be told we’re too far off topic any minute.)

You’d have to be more than a “bit” old school, the term has been around for 60 odd years.

And a GM has to lead a group of people through a story that spans the length of months or years, some have been working in the same fictional world for decades. They are some of the best people to talk taxonomy since they are consumers and storytellers.

1 Like

He saw this as his chance to make Handmaid’s Tale happen IRL, and didn’t consider all the implications and strings attached. Ruthlessly stupid, indeed.

2 Likes

I appreciate the term has been around a while (but did not think it was that long). I meant ‘old school’ in the ‘sensible (non-tautological) use of language’ sense (without wishing to start a whole other conflagratory debate), as I tried to illustrate with the ‘true facts’ example. (Yes, in saying speculative fiction is tautology, I was being a bit facetious - is there a tag for that?) Not ‘old school’ regarding the existence of a ‘new-fangled label’.

I’m afraid I don’t read games. Mostly books. :wink:

But getting back to somewhere vaguely near the topic, what sort of a games master would you have to be to lead people through a fictional world as depicted in the Bible?

Presumably a fantasy GM? (But definitely not a science fiction one!)

Depends on which point you pop in on but yea I can see that.

1 Like

God I hope so.

3 Likes

They’re definitely different but blur together at a lot of poorly defined boundaries. Other than the very hardest scifi, a lot of the variation is in what kind of description if any is used to justify the unusual things that happen.

For example, Star Wars, as space opera, is sci-fi. But some of the novels, especially in the old republic era where you have Sith armies performing ritual spells in pyramid temples powered by human sacrifice, or creating zombies, are probably fantasy.

Apologies - I’m now so far off topic I couldn’t figure out which tab I was commenting in, after digging up that link.