Pence won't do 25th amendment on Trump, 'I do not believe that such a course of action is in the best interest of our Nation or the Constitution'

Huh? This is all about the cowardice of one person - Pence. Put another person in that place and the system should work as intended.

7 Likes

I actually agree with Pence. This is not a situation that calls for 25th Amendment remedies, it’s a case for immediate impeachment and removal.

6 Likes

Well, certainly mother would be angry. And he can’t risk losing his once-a-year chance to have only un-pleasurable sex for procreative reasons only.

Color me not shocked.

19 Likes

Duuude. They tried to kill you on his directive.

14 Likes

And yet he’s still too cowardly to stand up to the bully.

18 Likes

Translation: “Trump’s supporters scare the heck out of me and there is no way I’m going to do anything more to earn their ire.”

(Note: “Heck” is Pencian for “fuck.”)

9 Likes

We will discover that every single Cabinet Member has spent this month either writing a resignation letter or a book.

4 Likes

Pence apparently accepts the broadly surported legal read on the 25th that it was only meant to remove a president who is medically incapacitated. And maybe more to the point the scuttlebutt says that this is the excuse many cabinet members have chosen to hide behind in stone walling it.

I’m guessing the precedent he’s talking about is some long standing hand wringing (especially recently) that using the 25th over crimes, or potentially subjective things like competency potentially opens the doors to it being used for political ends.

That’s not necessarily off base. But Trump is right now the living embodiment of arguments for a more expansive take.

Trump is A) non-fucking functional at the moment. Apparently few people can contact him, the government is basically treating Pence like he’s in charge. Donnie Two Burgers is spending his time raging against the PGA. And B) the guy is purportedly out of his skull, leaks out of the West Wing describe Trump as having lost touch with reality.

And that right there is “unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office” if not full on medically unfit.

Superficially it’s the right read. You don’t 25th a president for throwing a coup. Realistically that is a pretty dumb hill to die on, when you don’t need to. Trump is unable to do the job, it’s dangerous to have him there, and we’re in the exact “who is actually in charge?” situation the 25th is meant to deal with.

10 Likes

Whoa!

Huh?

I REALLY MISSED SOMETHING BIG?!

Please what are you talking about? I’m really confused!

Man, I was really hoping I’d never have a reason to post that one…

5 Likes

Multiple insurgents were caught on camera shouting about finding and killing Pence during the raid. All that-in-full view planning included a lot of Pence and GOP congress people being targeted for refusing to back Trump’s attempts to stay in power.

Trump had been attacking Pence in the lead up to the raid, and I think even during it. For “refusing to do his duty”.

16 Likes

This should be a race between the cabinet and Congress.

I’m not seeing the lie. Just because it isn’t new doesn’t mean it isn’t true.

6 Likes

Given this line from pence i’d wager (an infinitesimal amount) that the trump-resigns/pence-pardons deal has been locked in. Gawd knows what pence has accepted for that deal, (maybe some sort of “obviously should be illegal” circle jerk pardon)

That won’t matter if the House impeaches him. Impeachment bypasses pardon.

10 Likes

And cannot be appealed.

8 Likes
6 Likes

I agree that the intent was largely to cover a president in a coma or has a stroke, but it only says “unable to discharge the powers and duties”, and I think if Pence had used the 25th amendment last Wednesday like he should have that would be pretty convincing that Trump was not able to do his duty at least in the moment. Then the House should have impeached Thursday.

Today the case for the 25th amendment is a lot less clear but the case for impeachment is just as strong, and I don’t think the House should be faffing around with “you do it, no you do it” nonsense. Just impeach the motherfucker and leave Pence and the cabinet of deplorables to their own bad decisions. It doesn’t matter if the Senate won’t hear it, it doesn’t matter if he will be out of office in a week anyway. All that matters is that he incited insurrection and if we don’t impeach people for that then why the hell do we have that law? Let it be mitch mcconnel’s fault that it doesn’t go anywhere, don’t let him off easy by punting in the house.

9 Likes

News to me. Which is what makes his decision now even more puzzling.

Trump is septic bilge water that desperately needs emptied, except it’s all rising to the top as he tries to sink the boat of democracy. The stench keeps going up though and driving everyone off except Pence for some reason. Maybe he has no nose for bullshit?

Invoking the 25th just feels too much like objecting to electors. It is an end run around the voters using tools that the constitution does not authorize for that purpose. We still have a balance of power to check a president who runs amok. As evidenced by all the court cases he lost and the house and senate getting ready to undo his crayon on the wall.

Impeachment is the established procedure for dealing with guilty presidents. It can and will be done quickly. Even if it fails he is gone in a week.

2 Likes