Pennsylvania school district issues teachers billy clubs to combat gun violence

Now we eat the bat?

3 Likes

It’s probably more effective than thoughts and prayers.

3 Likes

Porcupine launchers! No one could stand up to them, but the ammunition does have a tendency to wander off if not corralled properly.

10 Likes

It’s got to be good for something…

2 Likes

Wrong side of the state!

I would guess a journal.

The academic kind, not a personal one.

2 Likes

I grew up in western PA (about an hour and a half south of Erie) in the late 70s and early 80s. Students were hit regularly, usually by large wooden paddles, some of which the teachers liked to customize (e.g., drilling holes in the paddle–lowers surface area for hitting, but reduces air resistance). I don’t know how much has changed–I’ve found conflicting evidence of whether corporal punishment was actually legal then or now–but most parents didn’t care. They were/are firmly of the mindset that kids need whoopin’, I-got-hit-and-turned-out-fine, etc. Teachers don’t need billy clubs–they probably already have their own implements to hit students, armed or otherwise.

In at least one fun side note, one high school teacher apparently did not question the wisdom of trying to paddle a student who was much larger than he was. The teacher hit the student, and the student hit back. As in, the student dropped that teacher to the floor like the sack of crap he was. That seemed to take away a bit of that teacher’s particular zeal for violence, at least for a little while.

4 Likes

I was told never to bring a knife to a gun fight… I guess a bat is ok?
Never mind either one, the best defense in active shooter situation is a properly trained adult!
https://www.google.com/search?q=gun+instructor+shoots+himself&tbm=vid&sa=X

1 Like

What is wrong with “arming” teachers with Tasers? I would give them “Bear” Pepper spray as well, it is stronger and shoots farther. Both of these are non-lethal but would definitely stop a shooter.

2 Likes

Has either of those devices ever been successfully used to stop an active shooter in the past?

5 Likes

These are not billy clubs in any way. They are souvenir giveaway toy bats.

6 Likes

never bring a billyclub to a gunfight.
whatever happened to fisticuffs?

Can it get worse if you have to resort to last-ditch methods like WWI trench clubs in a 2018 school setting?

(The question is rhetorical as the answer is obviously “Yes”)

2 Likes

Swagger stick. Part of an officer’s uniform as a symbol of authority (coincidentally much like a schoolmaster’s cane. Hmm… :thinking:)

Classier than a novelty miniature baseball bat and every bit as effective.

3 Likes

I beg to differ:

Not that that would have been much more use, of course.

2 Likes

Belgium here. Teachers usually hit with their hands. The more vicious ones used the short, square shaped wooden rulers on the palm of our hands. Most parents were okay with it and continued the corporal punishments in the privacy of our homes. A very small number of both parents and teachers were progressive and opposed corporal punishment, which we, at the time, found weird.

Yes it has.

1 Like

They are all Negan!

1 Like

What if I had a pointed stick?

5 Likes

Surely these bats have come with at least some training in close quarters combat with armed assailants, and are not merely a token gesture.

3 Likes