Penny lick bowls served up ice cream, with a side of infectious disease

Originally published at: Penny lick bowls served up ice cream, with a side of infectious disease | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Yeck. Might as well have been licking actual pennies.

8 Likes

braxton family values GIF by WE tv

10 Likes

If you’re in London, the Canal Museum near King’s Cross has some penny licks, and the history of ice and ice cream importing. It’s a very cool museum located in an old ice warehouse once owned by one of the earliest ice cream importers, Carlo Gatti.

11 Likes

“Oh, ImageAI produce me an image of a wafer ice-cream cone (c1900 new york by an Italian immigrant) wearing a medical outfit, y’know with a stethoscope and such”

3 Likes

It’s a pretty neat concept actually, if it weren’t for the complete ignorance of disease transmission in the users…

5 Likes

Makes me wonder anew about some bars I’ve been in, where 'washing" glasses seemed to consist of sloshing them around a bit in some water. :grimacing:

13 Likes

Yeh, it’s a fair point, though I always assumed the opposite problem: that the water (and the surface of the glass as a result) is denatured organic matter and chemicals…

3 Likes

In Amsterdam your drink at a bar comes with suds running down the sides to prove it’s been washed with soap.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m never drinking in a dark bar again. Gotta hold those glasses up to the light, just in case!

Season 3 Beer GIF by The Simpsons

4 Likes

What about sharing a joint?

5 Likes

Ya gotta get your microbiome from somewhere! No one talks about the good bacteria. /s

3 Likes

Oh yes, the 5-sided roachclip-o-fortune pharmacy companies in the '90s always < s type=retcon> used on the street to find out what drug helped the most people.

7 Likes

Just drink something strong enough to use as disinfectant. Problem solved!

4 Likes

That’s about as effective for sharing germs as a circuit party. Eww

2 Likes

In our old B’klyn neighborhood, we kids would sometimes share a bottle of Coke or Pepsi. As the bottle was passed around, each of us would, with a single swipe, wipe the top of the bottle with the palm of our hand. Our interpretation of cleanliness. My parents put a stop to that (for me at least) once they found out.

1 Like

England too, since in general people don’t rinse dishes after sudsing them up. When I challenged my English roommates about this disgusting practice, they looked at as if I were mad…

:roll_eyes:

Then there’s Canada, where they wash their dishes by pissing on them. And then don’t clean that off either!

The market is wide open.

Funniest spit take I ever saw happened while watching my brothers do this with their friends. Right after one nearly finished a large swig, somebody said, “Hey, no backwash now!” Soda sprayed on everyone across the room from him, which was definitely not sanitary - but hilarious. :rofl:

Cecily Strong Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

4 Likes