Pepsi officially endorses ungodly 'Pilk' concoction

4 Likes

This came up over in Odd Stuff a few days ago

@bluehenbear fascinating! I may have to give that a try!

1 Like

There’s a holiday good eats episode about it

2 Likes

I just enjoy things that are complicated, sound gross, but surprise everyone by being great when you are done!

(This could explain my lack of a romantic life)

2 Likes

I used to do this as a kid with store-brand cola (without ever knowing this was a thing) and it did somewhat curdle the milk resulting in little white chunks in the mixture. Didn’t stop me from doing it many times though.

2 Likes

Oh god…

big brother puke GIF

2 Likes

1/2 Orange juice + 1/2 milk is actually pretty good. Try it. :blush:

And here’s a concoction taught to me by my maternal grandparents when I was just a little guy: In a tall glass, thoroughly beat together one egg yolk and a teaspoon of sugar. Then slowly pour in Malta Corona beverage while quickly stirring the mixture. Adding a couple of drops of vanilla extract doesn’t hurt although the drink works quite well without the help. Deeeeeelish! (Many delicatessens and bodegas carry MC.)

For a time, there was a rather small food stand in Tarzana, California that catered to displaced NYers (such as I): They sold NY-style steamed hotdogs; Yoo-hoo drinks; Devil Dogs and Funny Bones cake treats; and egg creams.

Orange Julius? Good stuff, haven’t had one of those in a while, used to get them at the mall and made them at home.

Ice cubes
Orange juice concentrate
Sugar
Milk
Vanilla

4 Likes

My siblings and I were making those before we ever heard of OJ. We “grew up” in the kitchen and were always experimenting. More failures than successes, though.

1 Like

The Creamsicles we all ate as kids were made from vanilla ice cream and orange juice concentrate.

2 Likes

pushup

4 Likes

3 Likes

That too.

1 Like

Anybody ever had Swamp Water? Maybe just midwesterners? When I was a kid in Ohio, the drive-in B&K Root Beer stands made it — half root beer, half orange soda. Deee-licious. And yeah, that wasn’t our family name for it, that’s what they called it.

Then there was the concoction my brother and I are pretty sure we invented: Tang and Hershey’s syrup. Somehow tastes exactly like a Tootsie Roll. :+1:

2 Likes

I haven’t had cola in years, but back when I did, cola and (soy) milk was one of my favorite ways to drink it (especially if I could find vanilla cola). It was basically like a less-heavy Coke float.

It’s basically in the same lineage as the classic soda fountain staple the egg cream:

2 Likes

South Africans have been drinking brown cows (Coke and milk) forever.

4 Likes

Fanta with cream was common in my home town. One time I traveled abroad and ordered it, the waiter never head of it but said he could bring me Fanta and cream for me to mix, and he was amused. He called another waiter to see me drink it.

2 Likes

I wonder if Pepsi and raw milk would make the raw milk safer. (Don’t drink raw milk, just academically curious)

1 Like

Well, would putting any raw food into a soda make it safer?

3 Likes