Perfectly-sized wool socks that ripen avocados in 24 hours

Yes, we have no banana socks.

5 Likes

We don’t?

8 Likes

Overheard at the local hipster coffee house “Is that an avocado in your sock or are you just happy to see me”.

3 Likes

none of the avocado ripening tips every worked for me – either I would buy them ripe and ready to eat, or they would stay hard until they eventually started to rot (usually still a bit hard)… that is, until I moved somewhere that grows avocados all over the place. Now I can buy them rock hard, and they will be ready in a couple of days (and even stay in the nice tasty ripe stage for a while).

My guess is that they were either doing something to get them to transport nicely up to Canada, or Canada was just really far down the pole in terms of avocado selection.

2 Likes

No clue but now I need to get a sheep and stuff it’s fleece with avacados.

1 Like

4 Likes
2 Likes

I think that’s probably it. The same Latin American cooks I mentioned earlier bitched regularly about only being able to get the “wrong” avocados here in the east coast. And many Californians I know refuse to eat Avocado here, complaining that the avocados available on the east coast are “bullshit”.

1 Like

my father and i had a 1000 tree peach orchard for about 15 years. in that time i learned many things about checking fruit for ripeness. i can detect the ripeness of an avocado with so little pressure my grip would barely disturb an inflated balloon.

4 Likes

In the Avocado Sock ripening method, research has determined that it is not the Lanolin but the Woo in Wool that is responsible for ripeness.

10 Likes

I am familiar with the technique. With the tenderness one might cup a woman’s breast. But it doesn’t work well with pre-massaged fruits, fruits tested repeatedly by indiscriminate thumbs. So many times I’ve watched persons ahead of me “testing” each and every 'cado in the bin. Mash and pass.

Most people are only exposed to Hass cultivars, when there are dozens of varietals, each with slightly different characteristics. One of the more common are the Fuentes, another of my favorites.

I bet you miss the fresh peaches, wow.

3 Likes

Can I steal this for my dating website profile? :grin:

6 Likes

Are you sure that it’s specifically the lanolin causing that reaction? That seems weird, given that it’s widely used as a skin treatment, and given that sheep shearers and rousies have famously soft hands.

Its not. Just doing some googling it looks like a lot of raw yarns are even pitched as something that will soften/moisturize your hands during knitting. But the processing steps used on most wool that strip the lanolin are also the steps that soften the wool and remove coarser fibers. Unwashed wool garments are noticeably stiffer, denser, and just coarser over all than washed wool. Grandma said it was like knitting with greasy sandpaper, and she’s too old to be messing with that stuff. And thus ended my attempts to score a sweet Aran sweater.

3 Likes

since the orchard came to an end in 08, i’ve had perhaps a dozen adequate peaches. my technique for selecting peaches does not involve touch so much as smell. i gently lift a peach to my nose and sniff deeply. if i detect perfume of peachiness i’ll put it in my bag and if not i lay it down and lift another. one morning on my weekly trip to the store during peach season i spent 30 minutes smelling 300-400 peaches in order to select 3. if it doesn’t smell like a peach, i don’t care how soft it gets it will never taste like one while on the other hand no matter how firm it is right now, if it smells like a peach it will soften into something modestly worth eating.

5 Likes

go for it, it’s no harm to me for you to do so.

1 Like

Can I watch?

$20 for a sock that doesn’t work. Fleeced would be the word.

4 Likes

I’m a victim of squeezers. When I arrive at the avocado bin, invariably they’ve all been squeezed and groped and bruised. I’m in Canada; despite the avocado’s ubiquity here, Canadians still treat them as something exotic, at least when it comes to handling them. I won’t tell you what Canadians do with mangoes.

1 Like

Millennials will still ruin it.