PETA billboard protests Renaissance faire's favorite fare

I think the idea is that most turkeys alive today were bred for food so if we ended commercial production we’d just be left with wild turkeys. Not sure that’s much of an argument if the goal is reducing cruelty though. I’m also not sure where that “98% of all turkeys were bred for human consumption” number came from.

11 Likes

That’s probably because of Florida.

2 Likes

Interesting philosophy. I’m just trying to understand your reasoning, though. Seems pretty binary. I’ve personally always seen the ethical quandaries around eating animals to exist on a spectrum, largely proportional to the intelligence/complexity/self-awareness of the creature being eaten, along with the conditions that the animals must endure prior to and during the slaughter. For example, eating a wild-caught jellyfish (which has no brain) or a clam, or even a cute little cricket is a lot less troublesome to me than eating a factory-raised pig, dog, chimpanzee, etc. You disagree?

8 Likes

Omnivores - no one eats just meat.

21 Likes

(Me, when cornered by no-compromise vegans)

15 Likes

PETA once ran an ad campaign advising meat-eaters to eat whale, with the tongue-in-cheek(?) rationale that if you were going to kill animals for food it was better to kill one big one than thousands of smaller ones.

To me, that campaign just showed that PETA wasn’t very adept at crafting arguments to win over people who weren’t already on board with their worldview.

22 Likes

You can’t always just blame Florida for everything.

4 Likes

You’re right, it’s only 86.4% of the time…

15 Likes

And they managed not to be farcically racist, frivolously litigious or recklessly endanger anyone this time. Progress!

14 Likes

The reaction of my folks in Norway probably would have been Og det er greit for meg.

4 Likes

90% of the time, I’m 100% correct.

1 Like

There are at least five problems with whale consumption, if you put aside any moral arguments.

1. They aren’t domesticatable (AFAWK). There are reasons that we don’t have zebra farms either. There are reasons that the New World had only a handful of domesticated animals. While I don’t believe people have pegged down exactly what makes some animals able to be domesticated and others not, but there is a difference.

2. Most of them are predators, and the input of energy (food) is exponentially higher than the food required for herbivores. This is why we don’t farm tigers.

3. They requires a large feeding territory. So unlike fish one could corral, you can’t really farm them.

4. Most of them are slow to mature and have longer gestation rates, which makes farming them less practical. Elephants we have domesticated (partially?), but their slow maturation and reproduction rates make them unpractical to farm for food.

5. Because of all of this, it would be nigh impossible to keep them sustainable if we ate them. Which is what history has shown, when we hunted them not just for meat but their oil (Which sounds pretty crazy if we think about it today.)

A better argument would be “Why don’t we eat dog?” which they have also made an argument for and there are places that raise dogs for consumption.

I wonder if they banned turkey legs, could they just have the smell of them in the air? I mean, I haven’t gotten an actual turkey leg in years, but it wouldn’t be the Ren Faire with out it wafting through the air.

3 Likes

Yeah, this one’s actually kind of cute and on point.

4 Likes

just know that i like your post, but don’t want to change the like count

9 Likes

Citation?

PETA is the most visible and vocal deterrent to convincing omnivores to try becoming at least more flexitarian in their eating and lifestyle choices, if not actually vegetarian or vegan.

PETA is a main reason for why vegetarians and vegans can’t eat in peace around other people, and why vegetarians and vegans are marginalized and prejudiced against.

PETA works against its claimed agenda, making it harder for all of us.

24 Likes

I have eaten pigeons and horse.
Pigeon isn’t that great.
I buy meat, even horse meat from a nearby farmer, so I can see the animal alive and see if isn’t ill. Same thing, of course for poultry and rabbits.
Eating carnivore isn’t useful because they eat meat and not cellulose and are easy to reproduce.
I lived in the countryside as a kid, and also helped in farms. I used kerosene to kill mole critters putting sand and kerosene near the carrot fields, so to eat vegetables you still kill animals and I know that most of animals are raised to be eaten sooner or later.

9 Likes

It’s not as if PETA cares about changing minds; they’re in it for the outrage. Least of all they care about actual animals.

4 Likes

Mosquito in my house? Kill it.

Spider in my house? If not a wolf spider, kill it.

Mouse in my house? Trap it and let it outside far away.

Snake in my house? It better be back in its cage or the kids will get a talking to. Ball python. Feed it a mouse a week.

Rabbit in my house? I don’t know how to field dress those things, so just let it outside.

Dog in my house? WTF? I don’t own a dog.

Any other animal in my house? Fun story.

11 Likes

- Abraham Lincoln

14 Likes

NOW, this is appropriate :slightly_smiling_face:
Autophage_Bird

7 Likes