Photo: Coronavirus task force takes decisive action at White House

wise move to deploy the ashes. is it time to go to sackcloth?

3 Likes

They can pass them around. It’s not as if the Lord will allow Republicans to become infected. Just as long as those womenfolk don’t touch the bottles and wrap their warm, voluptuous lips around the…

Uh, where was I? Never mind. Anyway, I’m sure there’ll be plenty of drinks left to go with the five loaves and two fishes planned for lunch.

7 Likes

This is in no way faith shaming. If they were doing things right, we would never know what religion they are. As it is, they beat us over the head with their (let’s face it) preposterous belief system at any and all opportunity. The only place a prayer is appropriate is at the [inappropriate] National Prayer Breakfast. Who the fuck begins the Coronavirus task force meeting with a prayer?

5 Likes

I am going to agree with all of your post.

I am also going to ask people insinuating/saying that is what Pence is doing to show their work. I don’t think the people at the CDC and other health orgs are sitting on their hands on this one. That is contrary to the news I am hearing.

If someone knows to the contrary, please share so I know as well.

The President is treating this like another political game, and Pence isn’t exactly the go getting executive officer I have faith in, but like 98% of the work is done by people closer to the ground, and I don’t think they are going to drop the ball on this. But if we have examples where they are being ordered to do XYZ, by all means, keep us in the loop.

2 Likes

Agreed. Well said.

5 Likes

I’m not a believer, but don’t mind people invoking their deity before they do something hard, if they subsequently act like it’s that deity’s will for them to do the job well. I think Mike Pence is a piece of shit, but this doesn’t prove it

2 Likes

To me, an effective prayer is “Please, help me to understand what to do”, followed by getting up off (in my case anyway) my big fat ass and figuring out what to do. Somehow, I don’t think that’s what’s happened here.

4 Likes

Somebody without any demonstrable plan.

13 Likes

I actually do think the Vice President is doing his very best. But I think he and his boss both understand it to be a public-relations job, not, per se, a public-health one.

5 Likes

Ironically the Bible instructs believers to pray in private and avoid the vain act of performative prayer in public. This may be a private meeting, but they’re in a public office with a photographer following their every move. Not that I’d expect any evangelicals of the trump movement to notice this small but glaring detail.

12 Likes

This isn’t the CDC or other health orgs. This is the President’s Coronavirus Taskforce. Right after that photo, a third of them buggered off to the Conservative Political Action Convention.

13 Likes

but like 98% of the work is done by people closer to the ground

Sure, but it would be so much better if those people had supportive leadership. Is that the case here? The leadership we’re seeing here is budget cuts, muzzling scientists, and, well, prayer. I don’t see how any of those actions are helpful.

7 Likes

How about now?

10 Likes

His prayers came true. “God, please strike down the dirty sinners, who’s fun Mother forbids my participation”

8 Likes

God helps those who know how to home-brew their own hand sanitizer:

(tl;dl: 2/3 isopropyl alcohol, 1/3 aloe vera gel lotion.)

Also, instead of singing “Happy Birthday to You” or “Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star” to time your Corona Outbreak-strength hand-washing, portentously intone “Sphinx of Black Onyx, Judge my Vow!” five times.

You’ll have clean hands, and plenty of room around you in the restroom!

8 Likes

Where I once lived, the county was stiff with 7th Day Adventists and other sects that today we’d call “evangelical”. (Back then we called them Holy Rollers.) Every year, there were at least half a dozen of them die from easily treatable conditions because medicine is against “God’s will”. Children would die of measles or the flu because vaccinations are against “God’s will”. People of all ages would get small cuts which would then get infected and they’d die of gangrene because antibiotics are against “God’s will”. People who were injured and lost a lot of blood would die because transfusions are against “God’s will”. But it didn’t really affect their numbers because contraception is also against “God’s will” so they bred like rats.

6 Likes

Do I detect the merest hint of cynicism here?
Praying it goes away, are they? Twits.

2 Likes

Someone just said “your fly is open” and they are all checking to see if its them, at the exact moment the picture was taken?

They are all looking for their precious, as it were

1 Like

Right - so they are acting like figureheads?

Doesn’t the CDC have an internal task force on this?

I mean, at my job I don’t need the upper management to tell me how to do my job. I know what to do and am doing it with out their direct input. Or my ex-wife worked for the Department of Labor. There might be some policy changes that directly effected her from the Secretary of Labor, but overall it didn’t affect her day to day.

Perhaps they could be more helpful. But if their active position is just to pray away the virus, and they are forcing non-action by the CDC and other government health orgs, then that is what I need evidence of, please, vs speculation.

My point is helpful or not, incompetent or not, their lack of leadership isn’t necessarily going to doom anything because the people on the ground aren’t incompetent.

1 Like

I thought his real boss was baby jesus?

Maybe Pence is just driving trollies everyone by silently counting to 250? Making others wait to assert dominance is a rather old trick. As is pretending to be in contact with a higher being.

6 Likes