Piers Morgan's interview with supposed Baby Reindeer stalker should make us all feel dirty

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/13/piers-morgans-interview-with-supposed-baby-reindeer-stalker-should-make-us-all-feel-dirty.html

3 Likes

I couldn’t get through the first episode. I mean socially awkward cringe like that makes me physically uncomfortable. I had trouble watching the office originally until Michael’s behavior got to the point is more absurdist than awkward.

6 Likes

I’m not watching Piers Morgan anything.

22 Likes

I know everyone is talking about this show, but looking into the synopsis it looked particularly unpleasant. Hard pass on it and, as always, Piers Morgan.

7 Likes

Just stop right there. Srsly, is there nothing better to write about?

6 Likes

12 Likes

That show and this interview are big ol’ “nopes” for me. I had a stalker for years and it wasn’t a funny/quirky/compelling situation at all. Just a sad, sick human being and a painfully drawn out legal process resulting in multiple restraining orders.

12 Likes

The show’s a hard watch, for sure, but I’m glad it was made. There’s some great messaging in there, deftly handled, and I would hope it helps others in similar positions seek help.
It’s a genuine shame that “Martha” has been IDed and so quickly exploited by the populist vulture Morgan.

6 Likes

It’s always weird to me when someone does some fictionalized autobiographical story that carefully names no names, and someone pops out of the woodwork to get some fame by claiming, “That horrible character in the story is me, except the horrible bits aren’t true.” Either the story is true, in which case they’re horrible, or the story has been fictionalized so much - i.e. invented horrible bits - that the character just isn’t them. It just seems like a really bad decision to try to get attention doing that - but when mental illness is involved, the bad decision to “out” the person is not theirs, it’s the media figures giving them that (bad) attention.

3 Likes

I’m not sure where it was implied the show was funny or quirky. I watched the first episode, and it was hard to watch, mostly because it’s clear the stalker is in a very bad place herself and the protagonist is a bit of an idiot (the show doesn’t really cast him as a victim (edit: in the first episode), either well or intentionally, whatever the creators’ intentions are).

2 Likes

Without spoiling it, the narrator’s story is a bit deeper and darker than it would initially appear.

7 Likes

I’m glad I know nothing about this show.

4 Likes

Piers Morgan's interview with supposed Baby Reindeer stalker should make us all feel dirty

10 Likes

Seriously, fuck Piers Morgan. For someone who has gone through something like that, all Piers did is reinforce what Gadd must’ve been afraid of - that he wouldn’t be believed and that he should just shut up and accept it because … he’s a man. Gadd went OUT OF HIS WAY to say that this isn’t actually true, but true to the emotions he felt going through this. He said don’t look for her and that he changed it so much that even she couldn’t tell that she was the inspiration. This was Gadd’s story to tell and he fictionalized her so that he could tell it.

7 Likes

16 Likes

Cannot wait to get refuelled and go back to Mars.

6 Likes

You might want to top up the auxiliary tanks; expect some hitchers.

8 Likes

Same here. I kept pausing it and watched about a third of it with my eyes covered.

Did you ever see the original British version of The Office?

3 Likes

richard gadd plays himself in the show. must have been quite the confrontational therapy. and the show is controversial, nerve-wrecking, but also wonderful in its overall empathy for the people involved. almost no judging, even for the real asshole, whos not “martha” but some exploitative fucker later on.

2 Likes

nothing against gadd, but that is bs. they changed her name, and thats basically it. I assume legal reasons for that statement of his.

1 Like