Pizza a healthier breakfast than sugary cereals

I have held since my misspent college years that cold leftover pizza, properly aged on the coffee table, is the Breakfast of the Gods ™ absolutely bar none. YMMV, but I hold that this habit is largely responsible for my subsequent success in life. :innocent:

11 Likes

I assumed that was a typo. Milk, by definition comes from animals.

1 Like

Seen circulating:

[I saw the words “aged” and “coffee” and my mind jumped there.]

15 Likes

Ouch. Damn, nope, I will stick to cold pizza thank you very much!

Many traditional breakfast foods achieved said status by being quick to prepare. It’s faster and easier to whip up an omelette or a plate of bacon or a bowl of cereal in the morning than it is to make a pizza from scratch.

One exception is fresh-baked pastries, but that’s why most people who start their day with croissants and danishes depend on a local bakery staffed by people who rise hours before dawn.

10 Likes

I’d love to see a chart ranking the nutritional quality of breakfast cereals with a break-even-with-pizza point.

3 Likes

I like it well enough*, but I feel like I get a sugar crash a little later.

*My method was to add some walnuts and a piece of dark chocolate (or some honey) to the dry oats, pour in some boiling water, cover and then go about my other business (shower, shave, shoo-shoo etc.)

Leftover lasagna also makes for a tasty breakfast, and I’m guessing it’s nutritionally closer to pizza than cereal (e.g. Lucky Charms).

3 Likes

Finally Pizza Hut can get in on this “fast food breakfast” racket that McDonalds and Dunkin Donuts have a near monopoly on.

Also: it’s as if the writer of this article has never had a hangover before. Of COURSE it makes a great breakfast, especially when you wake up on the couch, your head is pounding, and there’s an open box with one slice left from last night.

7 Likes

People who eat either can expect to become, uhm, “slender challenged”.

Grains in both cereal and pizza are just good for packing it on. Not to mention inflamitory response in your arteries when you eat it. it is speculated that is why saturated fats stick like they do, because our veins are so inflamed with grains.

The food pyramid will lead you blissfully to obesity, diabetes, cancer. Eat an egg and bacon, drop all the grains.

Pizza is basically bread. bread turns to sugar when you eat it. Seems the same as sugary cereal to me. At least with cereal you’re honest about it.

I could name many countries that traditionally have grain-based breakfasts which have considerably lower obesity rates than the U.S.

For example, a traditional breakfast in many European countries consists of bread or pastry with a coffee. The problem has more to do with portion size than anything else.

14 Likes

My respect for the Finns is magnified.

4 Likes

Well, fine, if no one else is going to do it, I guess I will:

Christine Lavin - Cold Pizza For Breakfast

1 Like

Exactly. Hard to get large if there is no food .

There’s a whole lot of room between “no food” and “obese.” Blaming grains for obesity (and other medical ills) ignores the importance of reasonable portion size.

14 Likes

I’m eating pizza right now, and it’s morning somewhere on this globe. Wake up and smell the mozzarella you sleepyheads!

1 Like

IMG_0085

7 Likes

• Reese : [after deserting the Army in Afghanistan, Reese is crawling through the desert half-dead, when he sees a vision] Mr Waffles?

Mr. Waffles : Reese, you can’t give up. You’ve got to keep going. You’ve got to keep trying.

Reese : You don’t know what I’ve been through. I’ve been shot at, chased, married - and when the guy found out I was a dude, it wasn’t like a total deal-breaker.

• Mr. Waffles : You have to move Reese. You have to get home to your family and friends and your country. These people have no idea what breakfast is. They take rice from the night before and cook it up into a thin paste. Is that your idea of breakfast?

Reese : No.

Mr. Waffles : Do you ever want to taste my buttery goodness again?

8 Likes

My 9 yo daughter just completed her science fair project: Through the week she ate 5 different breakfasts (Froot Loops, eggs, muesli, pancakes, and yogurt) and carefully recorded how she felt at 1 and 2 hours after eating. Froot Loops edged out everything else. We never buy the kids cereal quite as fun as that so I actually think it won the experiment through sheer excitement.

6 Likes

It’s more complicated even than that.

Anyone who says otherwise is either ignorant/malinformed, an asshole punching down at what they feel is an acceptable target, or trying to sell you something. Or any or all of the above.

8 Likes

I knew I’d never be a “real” American when I just never got into pizza as a teenager; much less cold pizza and warm Dr. Pepper for breakfast.

I don’t hate (hot, quality) pizza, just would never go out of my way for it. But that leaves us with the worse-than-cold-pizza abomination that is Thai breakfast. That “rice soup, Thai style” is a very thin rice gruel with burnt garlic floating in it. And it goes downhill from there…

But the one thing I do love about American food is we’ve appropriated the breakfasts of all the best breakfast cultures (British, Yiddish, German, Belgian, Scandinavian, etc.). Except for the cold pizza thing. Blech.