Plans for Trump's July 4 'Military Tanks on The Mall' parade remain secret

Not that I actually know any US Army tank techs, but gosh wouldn’t be awfully appropriate if one or more tanks suffered epic breakdowns, preferably right in front of the Retrumplican Official Viewing Stand. Sit there blowing clouds of black smoke, need a flatbed to show up to haul it away, that kind of thing.

15 Likes

Last time this came up it was repeatedly pointed out that public roads aren’t exactly up to task of holding up the weight of multiple tanks and armored vehicles. In a war zone this doesn’t quite matter. But there’s a decent chance the parade tears up the streets of DC. And willing to bet making the Blue Angels perform without a proper break isn’t exactly safe either.

I doubt we’re in for a smooth performance.

19 Likes

I’d be more concerned about tanks colliding, or someone running in front of one in order to get a selfie. 68 tons does not stop on a dime.

A breakdown is assured. A few guard rails will get run over due to an imprecise pivot steer. Probably wont see anyone run out of gas though, since their 504 gallon capacity gets you about 200 miles.

8 Likes

My weak hope is that playing soldier like this is enough for Trump and it distracts him from real military action across the globe. Like jangling shiny car keys in front of a toddler in a tantrum. Just don’t let the kid drive.

7 Likes

26 Likes

I guess that, at least this time, the military exercise will only a waste of a few tens of millions of tax-payers dollars and piss off DC commuters. Normally anything involving the US military going on maneuvers cost billions, and some poor buggers suffer explosive regime change, with collateral corporate looting. Small mercies, eh?

@Ryuthrowsstuff “But there’s a decent chance the parade tears up the streets of DC.” Who’d have guessed that Trump’s reign would end in a ruptured gas main and a stray spark.

10 Likes

This was exactly the plot line in that book, Dune Make the citizens so freaked out over the current murderous dictator, they will welcome with open arms whoever the emperor replaces him with.

Its blindingly obvious to anyone on team blue, how the members o f team red are being lied to and manipulated. How much harder to see how team blue is also being used?

2 Likes

Criticizing this obscene display just because it costs so damn much, is pretty weak tea. How about criticizing it for being another fascist stepping stone?

19 Likes

Actually, they do!

Granted, this is a German Leopard 2 and not an american M1A1 Abrams, but these tanks are similar in size and mass (the leo is more reliable and has a better fuel economy since he has a classic diesel engine unlike the Abrams gas turbine, thou).

6 Likes

24 Likes

33 Likes

Its possible he meant contributing to their medical fund after the tanks run them down

2 Likes

Dc commuters are largely fed employees. They “work” from home for this.

1 Like

unlikely but would would be truly amusing .

Conspirator 1: " but how will we get the Tanks to to the white house undetected?"
Conspirator 2: " mmmmm…I don’t know… but I will i will get some of our top strategists on it"
the secretary : " hey trump wants to to know if you guys can come to D.C. forth of july for a parade?. "

4 Likes

Well, he initiated the stop from way back. If someone unexpectedly runs in front of a tank, the crew probably wouldn’t see him/her, and wouldn’t be able to stop in time.

We used to have collisions doing regular maneuvers. Now throw in a parade and all its randomness, plus factor in that parades are not regularly rehearsed. Wont be pretty.

4 Likes

ROSIE SAYS NO! YOU USELESS FUCK.

tumblr_pdij7t54NN1w5of3zo1_500

28 Likes

There will likely be activists who lie down, or take a knee, or stand Tiananmen Square style in front of them, so that will likely make it a different sort of spectacle than intended.

4 Likes

Pay up first, ya dead beat!

23 Likes

I’d be curious to know how much that maneuver chewed up the road surface. I’ve seen Scorpion light tanks (about 1/8th of the weight of the Leopard 2) leave white tracks on asphalt just turning. I’d expect a much heavier vehicle doing an emergency stop to leave an ordinary roadway in an ‘interesting’ state.

7 Likes

I hope his bone spurs won’t prevent him from attending the parade.

7 Likes