Police arrest man with guns who threatened to harm L.A. pride

Did you read the linked article? Do you REALLY want to double down on something that is not true at all?

He’s a queer guy who was headed to pride without any intent to do anyone harm.

Unless you want us to arrest people because…? well, there would be no legal justification.

1 Like

Again, neither you nor I have any ideas what his “intent” was, because neither of us are mind readers.

It seems like he was arrested for what he had in his car, actually and he might have a history of violent actions. While he could have been targeted back home for being bisexual, why would the LAPD also do that, given that they would have no clue who he was until they picked him up? It also looks like he was arrested for threatening someone with a gun a year or so ago, including his neighbors and boyfriend. I wouldn’t rule out the Indiana police targeting him for being gay, but it could also be that he did indeed threaten his neighbor and boyfriend, and maybe there is a problem there.

Whatever his intentions (to enjoy the parade or to attack someone), he still had guns and materials to make explosives in his car. I think that in this case, it was perfectly reasonable for the police to be suspicious.

But yes, you’re correct that he wasn’t apparently planning to attack the parade. But you are missing the point that dude might have been planning something, and he did have some weird things in his car when he was picked up. This was one of the things he apparently had in his car:

He may have had a perfectly reasonable explanation for having that. But I don’t think you can fault the cops for being cautious after what had just happened in Orlando.

14 Likes

So, you just see the worst in people?

I’m sorry, but I see the better. I see a bigoted arrest and a lot of backpedaling. Everything he had was legal. Everything he had was not at all linked to any intent to harm.

I mean, people like you are those who give the feds a reason to go after legal grows.

http://www.tannerite.com/legal.php

This is like arresting someone for buying too many cartons of smokes since they are flammable.

1 Like

Did you not read anything I actually said, including the part where I agreed with you?

Can you explain why he had that stuff in his car, much less the guns? Or why did you not address the fact that he had a violent history, apparently? Does he have an explanation for any of that, other than to say that he was targeted for being gay? Do you have anything to support that claim regarding either this arrest or his previous arrest? Do you really think that LAPD arrested him for queerness, which they sussed out without knowing him, just because, in the midst of a gay pride event? Or do you possibly think that maybe what he had in his car might have justified being a bit more cautious, given what just happened in Orlando?

Or are you really just a fan of guns and think that anytime the cops arrest someone with a gun, no matter their history, it’s illegal?

10 Likes

Stop judging him.

He did nothing wrong.

Just… stop with your angry zero-sum.

If he did nothing wrong and had no plans to do so, hopefully he’ll be cleared and released - that will be great. However, once again, given what had just happened in Orlando, checking out a guy with guns/materials that could be used to make an explosive in his car isn’t a bad idea. Plus, once again, he has a record and possible history of violence towards others.

I’m not angry, you clearly are, though. Are you angry because you actually know him and you know he’s being railroaded? Do you have some sort of proof of that? Why not share it with the group.

11 Likes

We don’t get to change the rules because something happened. The same rules should protect us all, not just those of us we want them to.

Christ, you read BB and you think this way?

1 Like

This is a public event and part of the police job is to look out for public safety. Again, if you have some information that this guy, despite his record, wasn’t a danger to the public, please state it. Hopefully, he’ll be cleared and that will be the end of it.

8 Likes

Daemonic? Whatever. I’m sure it’s for a higher purpose.

1 Like

Umm he was pulled over for reasons I don’t know but he was. The found weapons in his car, loaded weapons, and then probably saw he had a record. Sure lets just let him go on his way. NO. The very least is going to be a trip to the station for some questions doubly so near the big parade on day where a mass killing just took place that affects the community putting on the big event.
I have issues with the popo and their rush to settle things with deadly force but this comes across as pretty reasonable. So yes he wasn’t there to shoot up the pride parade but that does not excuse whatever he was pulled over for and then the officers going hey this kid has a record and a trunk with loaded weapons just let him go? No not going to happen, not now not 20 years ago and not 40 years ago.

15 Likes

He’s being held on felon weapon and explosive charges, apparently.

6 Likes

Well if he has a record already and was not allowed to be in possession of firearms, yeah I don’t care whether he intended harm or not. He was breaking the law and was caught.

9 Likes

I don’t know if he was still banned from owning fire arms or not… I’m not sure if he was still on probation or not?

@Mindysan33, @TobinL, @CrowingOne, this is what I can surmise from the article linked:

• He and his vehicle were searched on suspicion of being a prowler:

Early Sunday, Santa Monica police received a call about a suspected prowler who was knocking on a resident’s door and window about 5 a.m.

• The police noticed he was in a out of state car and inside of it found multiple assault rifles, material that in the right situation (under very high focused pressure, aka a bullet, is explosive), and high-capacity ammunition:

Officers inspected the car and found three assault rifles, high-capacity ammunition and a 5-gallon bucket containing “chemicals capable of forming an improvised explosive device,” police said.

• He then told authorities that he was planning on going to the LA gay pride parade.

Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials said the suspect told police he was going to the Pride parade to look for a friend.

• He has a criminal record that includes intimidation and uncharged “pointing a firearm at another person.” If you have any gun safety training you will know that you never point a gun at anything you don’t intend to shoot.

According to Indiana court records, Howell was charged in October 2015 with intimidation and felony pointing a firearm at another person.

As a separate point:

• There was also a history of personal conflict including pointing a firearm at his boyfriend, this claim alone gives weight to @Mindysan33’s suggestion of him possibly searching out a individual with the intent to do harm.

In the article, witnesses also described Howell as having pointed his gun at his boyfriend in an earlier incident.

I think that just from what can be summarized from the LA Times article there was definitely grounds for the police taking him into custody on suspicion of intent to do harm. Also has already been stated at least once by at @Mindysan33, the largest mass shooting in terms of deaths in the history of the United States occurred earlier this morning at a LGBTQ focused nightclub, and I am sure the arresting police officers had copycat crimes on the mind.

All quotes come from this LA times article which has already been shared at least once in this topic.

11 Likes

What “way” is that, exactly?

And is that meant to imply you believe that everyone who is on the BBS thinks exactly the same way despite the wide variety of members, basic and regular alike?

Seriously?

6 Likes

our reputation as a symbol of freedom

Do people in the US really believe this?

5 Likes

Correction:

How you choose to personally deal with these “Terror Threats” is affecting how you live… At the end of the day, you still have the ability to choose what to do. Do you live in fear or do you live your life to the fullest as a means of giving a big middle finger to all these limp-dicked hate mongers?

The choice remains yours.

2 Likes

Already filled in all the squares on my White Terrorist Bingo card.
Where can I get a new one?

2 Likes

Some do, unfortunately.

The nationalistic propaganda is “strong with us.”

7 Likes

Does it count as “concealed carry” if the guns are in your trunk?