Police training eagles to take down drones

nope!!

So what you’re saying is that the eagle should be trained to attack hipsters.

2 Likes

And then Zap goes you, when the police tase you for killing their birdie.

2 Likes

who knows how @shaddack is equipped when even his drones carry photoflashes

4 Likes

Technically, you could make an artisan, handmade vest with insulating padding and a high voltage wiring embroidery on top. With hat with the same equipment. But I’d suggest to wear properly rated insulating gloves.

You can make a taser-resistant clothing, from conductive fabric. Lessemf.com sells some fairly overpriced but fairly good ones (good for EM shielding for e.g. NFC cards, I did some tests there). This will provide a low-resistance path for the current which will go preferentially through the fabric than through you. Reportedly some grades of carbon fiber work too, but I didn’t play with those. Some padding to protect against the pins would also be a good idea.

Aluminium foil on cardboard could do if you’re in a pinch, but it is rather uncomfortable for prolonged use.

I wonder how it would work against the 96 GHz microwave gun aka the “pain ray”…

3 Likes

Could work, I suppose. Sounds pretty cumbersome though, when worn along with the bulletproof vest that one should also prepare, in case the cops just decide to shoot you instead.

3 Likes

Can be applied as a fairly thin layer on top. Just laminate the conductor on the outer surface. The vest itself will provide the mechanical protection. Or use a thin conductive overshirt, to protect even the arms. That will not do much against the pins if hit there but will short the current and protect from the worst.

There are even some vendors of high-end bullet-resistant clothing that is virtually indistinguishable from common wear, and seems to be fairly comfortable. Expensive, though. I wonder about the materials used, and their low-cost equivalents…

1 Like

If the Taser doesn’t have the effect they want/expect, your chance of being shot increases exponentially :cry:

1 Like

This is great, until… http://pop.h-cdn.co/assets/16/02/1452621712-ezgifcom-optimize.gif

4 Likes

For once I wish for a downvote button on Boingboing. One eagle is worth a million drones.

Perhaps the most perfect afternoon of my life was in a valley high in the Triglav national park - nobody around but a family of eagles, calling to one another. Quadcopters are OK in their way, but I would scrap the lot without thinking tomorrow if it was necessary to preserve eagles (and kingfishers, and herons, to name a couple of my other favorites.)

4 Likes

Ha! That does look a lot easier than training and then dealing on site with eagles.

So is this what really happened to Glenn Frey?

3 Likes

This method probably does pose some risk of injury to the eagles, but, damn, the ease and grace with which that drone got plucked out of the air is impressive.

Thought. A small rocket motor for very fast change of position/direction, ignited by a signal from a Doppler radar, when an object is detected to be approaching fast. Robust enough propellers to withstand the aerodynamic forces, robust enough control algorithms to recover from the disturbance.

3 Likes

I think I would recognize you

8 Likes

Ahh yes it’s always the eagles who save the day.

5 Likes

That is horribly cruel to the eagles. The rotors of a drone would chew through their bodies in short order, followed by dead birds and damaged drones falling on anyone underneath. This is SO not a good idea!

11 Likes

the police do not want drone video of their own illegal behavior to be used as evidence against them.

2 Likes

This is why they need a second vengeance eagle trained to give a drone operator that evil a facelift by eagle talon.

2 Likes